Napier to Gisborne


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Gisborne
April 12th 2007
Published: April 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Left Napier in drizzle. The road north winds through sheep farming hills. I hadn’t topped up with petrol and was relieved to be able to top up in the first town of any size, Wairoa. The town has noticeably more people of Maori descent. We found an excellent bakery/café.. I indulged in the Antipodean obsession with pies - having a very good smoked fish one. Then the short distance to Marere hot springs. It is a cheap (NZ$ 5) place which is quite strange. You walk about 10 minutes along a track into the bush.to get to some of the thermal springs where you can luxuriate in the lovely warm water (there is a more standard hot pool and cold swimming pool back nearer the entrance). The YHA at Gisborne was full so we ended up at our first Motel (the Endeavour - recommended in Rough Guide as cheap and good) and were very impressed. We only strayed from the motel far enough to buy a huge fish’n’chips for $NZ10 and some booze from the liquor store ( note : in NZ you can buy beer and wine at supermarkets - but not spirits). Completed the diet sins with some chocolate.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.211s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 72; dbt: 0.087s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb