Sunrise New Years Day 2005


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » East Coast
September 2nd 2005
Published: September 4th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The first to see the Sun.The first to see the Sun.The first to see the Sun.

This is sunrise New Years day-2005. First to see the sun. Awesome feeling to see and feel the warmth. If you can ever make it to Gisborne, New Zealand do it because the whole town is right on the sea & the weather is beauitful, and the scenic drive there is breathtaking through NZ native bush.
Well the year is nearly over but I still remember the first day of this year vividly.
Not only did I have a great night before, but stayed up partying till the sun came up 6am!! And what is even more special is that I was in Gisborne NewZealand, which is "officially" the first place in the world to see the sun.
That is because the GMT timeline starts in there, so it is a special place to greet the New Year. Very funny moment when we were at the lookout with about 40 other people (kiwis and tourists alike), and I said to my cousin Anna
"Wow-look at that beautiful skyline" And she replied "where'? as she looked around the carpark!!
She has been in the city too long, because the word Skyline to her means only one thing...Nissan.
But anyways it was just awesome to be there.
Excuse the photo but we were very inebriated at the time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Empire of the SunEmpire of the Sun
Empire of the Sun

The guy behind me came all the way from Japan to be able to tell his family he had seen the sun first. He was really overwhelmed as the sun is very significant in Japanese culture. Just think of the Japanese flag. There were alot of other tourists there too to seize the day.
Scenic DriveScenic Drive
Scenic Drive

Our drive home was beautiful. It was 3 days later and it had rained so the freshness and pure smell of the bush was very reviving. However it does seem it was lost on the kids. The drive is through a gorge and the rushing river looks so clean. Come see it some day.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb