Gisborne: First to see the Sun!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » East Coast » Gisborne
November 25th 2006
Published: December 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

New Zealand is the first country in the world to see the new sun each day. And in New Zealand, Gisborne is the first town and region to have the sunrise. Well, Melissa had been saying since she got here that she wanted to be the first to see the sun...and we all know what a morning person she is.😊 So with a bit of a struggle, we had her loaded into the car for a quick 10 min drive to a perfect vantage point. The sky was just turning color as we got there and it looked like we had quite a wait ahead of us, so we were guessing as to what time we thought the sun would actually show. It was 5:30 while we were making our guess' and then out of nowhere at 5:36, the sun made its first appearance. It rose so quickly. Neither of us has ever seen a sun rise that fast. It's amazing when there is nothing but ocean and beach in the way. It was perfect, breath-taking. And there was not a cloud in the sky.




Later that day, after we went back to sleep for a couple hours...we got up and started our way back to Auckland. We took the inland way this time which took us through The Gorge, which was another beautiful drive. We stopped for fresh oysters at an oyster farm outside of Ohiwa. Melissa thought they weren't too bad...battered with tartar sauce. We also stopped at Kiwi-Fruit Country which has tours and sells everything KIWI. We saw what is probably the biggest kiwi in New Zealand! We got back to Auckland safe and sound that night...time to get settled into life in our new city...


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

First glimpse of the SunFirst glimpse of the Sun
First glimpse of the Sun

November 25th at 5:36 AM
Amazing ColorAmazing Color
Amazing Color

The camera doesn't really do it justice
KIWISKIWIS
KIWIS

(Fruit & Person)


1st January 2007

Awesome Sunset
We feel like we are travelling with you. These pictures are amazing. Can't wait for the next page of your journal.

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0783s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb