Kati Kati


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel
January 13th 2008
Published: January 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

kingfisher lodgekingfisher lodgekingfisher lodge

in the middle of an avocado orchard.
We have spent 2 hot sunny days here, the hostel is a cabin in an avocado orchard, which is OK if you're a cicada!!! Actualy, they shut up at night! Yesterday we spent the whole day at the local avocado and wine festival - a great day, lots of food and wine and live music all day. Today we looked round the town, which is renowned as the mural town, having murals painted on all the shop walls. They also have a haiku trail - short poems about nature carved onto rocks - with lots of strategically placed benches. The museum was excellent, owned by Ken and Nancy, a retired couple who prefer to show people round rather than watch TV all day. Little known facts about maoris, the Irish arrivals, and kauri trees. There were lots of working record players, washing machines and a magic lantern show. Nancy even donned a "church" hat and played the treadle organ and sang like they used to when the first settlers arrived. We pleaded hunger after 2 hours, and left, but really you could spend the day there!
We are very nearly half way through our holiday now - 3 months, can you
the hillsthe hillsthe hills

behind the hostel, whose name escapes me. We are between the sea and the hills, on 12 metre deep volcanic ash from the last eruption. No wonder the grapes and avocados do so well.
believe it. You'd better make the most of it before we get back again!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

wine tastingwine tasting
wine tasting

Alex tasted and I bought the bottle. Well, someone had to drive!
fish with avocado mayonaissefish with avocado mayonaisse
fish with avocado mayonaisse

They did this cookery demo, and as I was on the front row, looking hungry, I got the finished product to try. I have to say, it was delicious.
the localthe local
the local

silver band played in between the live "star" lineup. We especialy enjoyed 'the jazz band, but there was music for everyone.
hold that hosshold that hoss
hold that hoss

Alex with one of the murals in the town.
haikuhaiku
haiku

I liked this one. It was beside a scale model of a dam they used to build to wash the kauri trees out of the forest.
Kiwi guyKiwi guy
Kiwi guy

Had a look over his shoulder to see the news! He was friendly but quiet!
HumphreyHumphrey
Humphrey

a seal who was a regular visitor over the years.


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb