The Coromandal


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel » Whitianga
February 9th 2016
Published: February 11th 2016
Edit Blog Post

The majority of the day yesterday was spent travelling to the Coromandal, a 6 and a half hour drive time to our campsite at Mercury Bay. As we came into the Coromandal Peninsula we had the most amazing views which I don't even think the pictures have done justice, well worth the drive. Even the weather has perked up for us today, sunshine the entire day.. Things are looking up! ☀️
Today we went to Hot Water Beach in the morning it's rated one of the top 10 beaches in the world and I can see why, it is pretty cool and well worth a visit. If cost 5 bucks to rent a spade from the cute cafe on the beach front and further down amongst a rocky outcrop you can dig a hole in the sand and create your own spa pool! The water comes from underground hot springs which filter up between high and low tide. We grabbed a spade and with the help of some fellow Brits found an area of sand that felt particularly warm and dug... My god was it hot! Like burn your tootsies hot. It was good fun trying to race the lapping waves to dig a hole, build some sand defences and keep it standing before the tide came in again. After Hot Water Beach we had a coffee and a spot of lunch before we headed five minutes up the road to Hahei and Cathedral Cove. We found a space at the Cathedral Cove carpark and started on the track that would lead down there.. It took us forty five minutes to get down there and thirty minutes back (you can tell we speed walked to get him). It was no walk in the park neither, we plan to do the tongariro crossing and after that 'stroll' I think we need to put in some serious training or something. It took the life out of me! Trainers are a must to do this, I'm glad we decided to ditch the flip flops for once. The cove was lovely though, you could see where the sea had eroded on the rock faces and pieces had fallen off to create outcrops in the sea.. Well worth the walk. That night we chilled out at the campsite, Rich made fajitas (still doesn't trust me to cook out here yet ??), we played bananagrams and drank NZ Sauvignon. Feeling very sophisticated right now.





Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement







Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb