Day Twenty Five


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel » Waihi
June 13th 2008
Published: June 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It's almost bedtime here in paradise, but we have so much to write! First of all, I posted all of the pictures that we have been telling you about. So, check out the entries from this past week and the pictures for them should be up. Second, we hope to get a calling card soon! It is really cheap from here at the hotel, so it would be nice to get a phone set up.

We are loving our lives here! Christoffel and Alison invited us to stay at their home last night. They live an hour away and commute either here or an hour and a half to Auckland for their paramedic jobs. I don't know how they do it. Plus, Alison is 20 weeks pregnant! They made us steak, lamb chops, and cole slaw that could be world famous if it hit the market. Jack and I have never eaten cole slaw that we enjoyed, but this was fresh vegetables cut nice and thick and tasted so amazing. There is nothing in the States like it (Jack says, "Except yours, Grandma Marva"). We got to see their land and meet the five dogs. The bull terrier grunts, snorts, squeels, and makes a gobbling noise like Cookie Monster when you pet her!

We can prepare most of the food now and Jack has mastered all of the drinks. Chris and Alison had to leave a couple times today to run some errands, and Jack and I were left in charge. It was so much fun to hold up the fort and show ourselves that we can actually do it. We take the orders, ring them up, make and serve the food and drinks, wash the dishes, set people up with internet, check people in for accomodation, close out the register at night, open the hotel in the morning, and talk and talk and talk the whole time. Chris and Alison are so refreshing to be around. We could (and do) talk to them for hours about anything. They have been so giving and so hospitable to us, and it has been so much fun to make friends with them.

I guess earlier I was describing the Burrowing Bullie as a bed & breakfast, but I won't be satisfied if I'm not giving you all the whole picture. It is a cafe with an internet lounge, the pub (restaurant, bar, & pool lounge) is opening soon, and the accomodation is upstairs with bunk bed, dorm style, or private double rooms. There is a community kitchen and full men & women bathrooms for the guests as well. Right now we are working on rennovating the pub. Jack and I are painting now and Chris and Alison are reupholstering chairs. It's a work in progress and we hope to see it open in a few weeks. Starting Monday we will be opening at 7am instead of 9 to serve breakfast. We close at 4:30, but we will stay open later once the pub is open. Besides accomodation, everything is closed on Wednesday.

Jack and I haven't even seen much of the town yet, so they are going to take us out Wednesday to see the town, the gold mines, the gorge, some tunnels, and who knows what else. They have been our tour guides, really. It's great because they have been living here for so long that they can give us a good perspective of what life is like here. They feel the same way and love learning about the States from someone other than 50 Cent or CSI Miami.

Well, we are tired. We haven't taken any pictures since we got here, but I will get on that tomorrow. Hope you all have a great day!

Advertisement



13th June 2008

I have Joined the Club
Jack, you will be proud of me. I finally hit a deer last night in Stillwater on the way home from Hudson. Connie and I are fine. The Porshe is in the shop. It took a lot of damage to the front end. The deer is dead. Lindsay, i am sure that it was not as dramatic as the possum you took out. I know how you must have felt. Love you all - Dad

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb