First week part 2


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Plenty » Tauranga
September 22nd 2011
Published: September 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 5
Decided to stay all day at Bayview Wairakei Hotel. First strolled around the grounds, and discovered the large pool fed from a natural hot spring. Enjoyed swimming at 35 degrees, like a huge bath...
Later there was a rugby debate with guest speakers Sam Warburton and Shaun Edwards, who entertainingly answered our (not too) searching questions and were willing victims for photos and signing anything to hand.
With our winning tips success should surely follow...

Day 6
Another coach transfer with our driver Len, always full of stories, this time off to Auckland.
Checked into the hotel on the Quay, and then off into town. My "research" yielded another bar that brews beer-and some lunch, and then we went up the Sky Tower.
Helen is not to keen on heights but was lured in by a WETA shop and took loads of photos from the observation platform and sometimes let go of the rail.

Day 7
Today was spent on Waiheke Island, taking a tour of the main sights (and vineyards....) OK mainly the vineyards! The trip was mainly a wine tour of three local producers (including a tasty platter lunch) but we also managed to squeeze in a trip to the island's brewery and some stops at lovely viewing places of the island. These were not hard to come by as it seemed that around every corner was a gorgeous view of the coast. There are loads of very private bays and beaches on the island, perfect for a relaxing stroll (and we managed to avoid the rain for the most part!

Day 8
A week in and time for our second match! We transferred to Hamilton in the morning in time to soak up the atmosphere at a local pub where a huge load of Welsh supporters had gathered. After a quick lunch we headed into the stadium and promptly realised that leaving our sunglasses at home was a bad idea - after the last match being played under cloud and rain, we weren't expecting the bright sunshine. A visit to the merchandise vendor furnished us with Wales 2011 caps and we were ready for the game.

The match itself was....nailbiting to say the least! After a disappointing first half Wales finally managed to creep ahead but it never looked entirely certain that it would stay that way. Samoa had amazing support in the stadium but fortunately we managed to hang on and certainly had our excellent defenses tested!

Day 9
Although we had spent a few days already in Auckland, this morning took us on a tour of the city's main sights, including Mount Eden, the main shopping areas, a look at how the rich spend their time (and money) building massive and hugely expensive houses in the affluent areas of Auckland, and time spent in the museum.

In the afternoon we took a fabulous trip to the Waitekere ranges (stopping for a most excellent pie on the way - the Kiwis know how to make a pie!) The trip took in an area of beautiful regenerating native new zealand land, including a waterfall and a 900 year old native Kauri tree (one of only a handful left). Definitely a day to remember, although again we battled with rain. Luckily our tour guide provided us with some very attractive waterproof gear for our walks!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb