Bay of Islands - Paihia


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands
January 3rd 2006
Published: January 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Days 51-53



We were picked up at 7 and drove north up to the Bay of Islands stopping on the way to see some Kauri trees that were big and hard and over 600 years old. We got to our hostel and had a wander down to the beach. We hired a kayak for a couple of hours and had a paddle around the bay. It is a really nice chilled out place. We then chilled on the beach for a bit and had a wander. In the evening we had a couple of drinks and had a BBQ at the hostel. It was really nice.

The next day we were picked up early for our day trip to Cape Reinga (the very tip of New Zealand). It was pouring with rain and really windy while we were driving along the 90 mile beach but the weather made it more spectacular with the waves crashing up to and sometimes onto the bus. We saw some cars that hadn't made it and had sunk in the sand, including a vintage Mercedes! Gutted!! We then stopped at some sand dunes and went boogie boarding down them. It was really good fun
Boogy boardingBoogy boardingBoogy boarding

The dune was about the size of the ski slope in MK and we got up some pretty good speed.
and you went really fast! We stopped for lunch on a very windy beach and then arrived at Cape Reinga where the Pacific Ocean and Tasmin Sea meet. We had a little walk there and then headed back. In the evening we ate fush and chups on the beach.

The next day we went Dolphin Spotting (it was supposed to be swimming but we didn't get to go in the water as there was a baby dolphin). It was a really good day. We came across a pod of about 20 dolphins who swam next to the boat, doing loads of tricks and stuff for ages. It was brilliant. We were actually pleased we couldn't get in the water when we spotted a sharks fin circling near by!! We went to 'The Hole in the Rock', which is a hole in a rock!! We stopped for lunch and went scuba diving in a very very cold sea with no fish in it!! When we got back on the boat we jumped into a boom net at the side of the boat where you had to hold on while the boat dragged you through the water. It was hard work making sure you didn't fall out and die but it was good fun. After our boat trip we jumped on the bus and were taken back to Auckland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Cape  ReingaCape  Reinga
Cape Reinga

The very top tip of New Zealand


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb