Northland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands
November 11th 2008
Published: November 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Cape Maria Van DiemenCape Maria Van DiemenCape Maria Van Diemen

Near Cape Reinga, the top of NZ
Back to Auckland in time for Halloween...... but Auckland is no place to hang around in when the rest of NZ is waiting. I got back on the Magic bus and went up to Paihia in the Bay of Islands, about 3 hours north of Auckland. It's yet another beautiful coastal area, and even more interesting as it is the place where the Treaty of Waitangi was signed in 1840, so it's a historically significant place to visit. (google if you're interested!!) I stayed 5 nights in the end, and took a day to travel up to the very northern tip of NZ, Cape Reinga - an awesome day out, with amazing scenery (a theme developing here?!). Just outside of Cape Reinga we stopped at some giant sand dunes to go sand boarding - lots of fun - then on the way home drove along 90 Mile Beach, which is actually a state registered highway with a speed limit of 100k, despite it being a beach. Had to dodge the waves a bit as the swell was pretty big the day we were there.
From Paihia we headed west to the other side of Northland, and I stayed a couple of days in a little town called Omapere, at the head of Hokianga harbour. Fantastic beach walks around the harbour head - scenery more dramatic than the Bay of Islands. The highlight though was probably doing a twilight tour of the ancient kauri tree forests with a local Maori guide- Northland is the only part of NZ where there are any of these forests left, and we saw the 2 largest trees, Tane Mahuta (2000 years old) and Te Matua Ngahere (estimated to be 3000-4000 years old) - my photos won't do these justice, they are a truly amazing sight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

SandboardingSandboarding
Sandboarding

that is me, honestly
Hokianga Harbour Hokianga Harbour
Hokianga Harbour

view from Arai-Te-Uru reserve


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb