Tongariro to Bay of Islands


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands
October 20th 2005
Published: October 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Been a while since we've been in touch so we thought we'd take 5 out of our busy schedule, you know, on a beach, eating well etc. lol

Well, from Taupo and the thermals we went down to Tongariro - an amazing place where NZ only desert exists (well, desert by NZ standards), plus three dormanant volcanoes. Unfortunatly weather was poor whilst we were there and put off most of walks and meant we didnt really see the volcano's. However, we did get to slush around in the snow - a good 3-4 inches worth. Like being a big kid again for matt, philpa wasnt so keen to play!!!

From here we went back to the west coast, firstly stopping at Whanganui where we did the culture thing - art galleries etc. We had real luxury the night we spent there - an ensuite!!! Rare at campsites but really nice. Also visited the most amazing in town park, with lots of birds, particularly balck swans - some with babies and others with eggs!!! We got such a good look!

From here we went up to New Plymouth. More culture (inc a strange wind wand!) and a walk along the front. Onwards again we headed to the coast and had some decent fish (lemon) and not so nice chips. Then we stayed the night in a swamp (Huntly) - well the ground was sodden!!! It was the most bizarre campsite to date - facitilies v basic and full off partying road workers.

To the Coromandel - such a relaxing beautiful place where we did plenty of beach walks and also went on a fab little train jounrey thru forest and to fab views over the thames (from the eyefull tower)- much nicer than the english version (blue in colour for a start). Also ate plenty of ice cream - well its got warm here and we dont want to pass out!

Then we started to head towards Auckland - although we were only passing through. We ended up on the west coast opposite the city at Muriwa. There was lots of gannets there and we got really close. They are really cool birds (big) but a bit vicious. Landing for some was proving difficult and if you went slightly off course the reception on the ground wasnt so welcoming!!! It was really windy though so ....

From here we crossed to the east coast (lookedat a nice harbour on the way and witnessed a great sunset). That night we went to the most out of the way campsite ever. Gravel and dirt roads, in the dark might i add, into a forest, seemingly never ending. We arrived eventually. The facitlies were ... intersting. All worked fine but somewhat run down. Strangely enough we had the place to ourselves! In the morning mat played with the cows, so small and curious! The next day we went to some world famous toilets (well, thats what the sign said). They apparently were designed by Hundertwasser (famous austrain artist who lived for 25 years in Kawakawa). Really fancy affair, no books required while enthroned! Detail etc. Philpa took lots of pics - all decent i think!

We are now plodding our way up the east coast. At the moment we are in Paihai and have just been cruising around the bay for 3 hours. Really nice views plus we saw bottlenose and common dolphins (swimming under the boat within a metre or so), plus more birds and some nippy little fish! Fortunatly today is better weather wise, yesteday it rained for 12 hours non stop. It didnt stop us exploring (and leanring more about the maori people and the arrival of europeans) but we did get through 3 pairs of trousers each! Sounds a bit dodgy but you get the drift. We saw an amzing maori war ship (canoe - 35m in length and made from a single tree - can hold over100 people) and also a meeting house - these guys know there wood and are great carpenters.

From here we plan to head north and reach Cape Reinga in a couple of days time. Then we start to plug back to Auckland (via the west coast of northland) where we hand the van back in just over a week. Then 2 weeks milling about in Auckland/Hamilton. Then only another 2-3 weeks before we are home .... so sad. But it'll be nice to see you all

Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.097s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb