The Bay of Island to Cape Reinga


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands
December 20th 2007
Published: December 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Thursday Dec 20th

Our hotel is right on the beach and the view from the wondows spectacular. Last night the sunset was all bright oranges and reds. Very beautiful.

Today we took a small plane flight north to Cape Reinga, whihc is the far north part of new Zealand. The flight took about 50 mins over the beautiful Bay of Islands. We flew along the famous 90 miles beach which is also a highway, although only for those brave or fool hardy enough to attempt it with out any insurance or coverage if you are renting a car. Our guide told us the story of having his bus washed out to sea when it broke down on the beach. Even for an experience driver here things can go wrong. Not to worry thought they just buried the bus.
We landed near Cape Reinga and walked to the light house and the sacred Maori site which they tell as being where dead Maoris go to jump off the rock to the sacred tree. From here to the cave where they wait three days while the funeral goes on before joining their ancestors. A very beautiful spot and I can understand their belief. It is indeed a place to jump off and head into some spiritual realm.

From here we headed to Tapotupotu beach for a walk before going to the giant sand dunes for a spot of sand boarding. And yes we both did try this. Great fun. Near there was the quick sand river and of course we had to paddle in it. It is a really strange feeling as you can feel your feet being sucked in. Pretty neat.

Then it was back to the plane and a even more beautiful flight back over all the islands, beaches and bays. What a spectacular spot.

We then went to the Waitangi Treaty house where the nation of New Zealand was born. In the Treaty House on February 6th 1840 the Treaty of Waitanga was signed where the Maori surrendered the country to Britain in exchange for protection and the “rights and privileges of British Subjects”. Of course history tells that this treaty caused as many problems as it solved. It is an interesting site and the spectacular war canoe is not to be missed. There are many cultural events here, songs , dance and craft shows all showcasing the best of Maori history. A very interesting spot.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb