20/1/15


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
January 21st 2015
Published: January 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 20/1/15The Bay of Islands is exactly what it says and most of the tourism is based on or in the water. Lots of boat trips around the islands, diving and dolphin spotting. On the other hand we headed inland and when for a walk up to a look out spot. It was quite a climb and we only met another 3 people. The view from the lookout was lovely and with the sun out the water was turquoise rather than the grey of yesterday. So instead of coming back down to the town we decided to take the route traversing a ridge and ending up at the ferry terminal in Opua, from there we could pick up the coastal walk back to Paihia........ 5 hours later with feet threatening to spontaneously combust we arrived. If anyone suggests 'traversing a ridge' make sure you know just how much up and down there is before agreeing. Anyway it was a good walk if very tiring and the coastal bit was beautiful and I'd recommend that bit, unfortunately there was no time or energy for the walk I really wanted to do along the river to the Haruru Falls, maybe next time! The spa bath in our motel was utilised to alleviate my aching joints and we managed to wander slowly to the town for kebabs on the edge of the beach, nicest kebabs I've had in the last 25 years or so (actually the only kebabs for 25 years but they were good and on a gluten free wrap too).


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 13; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0741s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb