Wild dolphin swim and speedboat to the hole in the wall


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
February 16th 2011
Published: March 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I was really excited when mum told me that we were going to try and swim with the dolphins. The Bay of islands is in the very north of the North Island in NewZealand and is famous for the dolphins that live there. There are over 400 named dolphins that live just in the bays off Paihai and Russell. We were going to go and try and swim with them and then take a speed boat out to a place called the hole in the wall.

There are lots of rules about how and when you can swim with the dolphins. For example it is illegal to swim with dolphins if there are baby dolphins or Juvenile dolphins in the pod. Also we can only swim with them if it looks like they want to play with us.

These are many interesting facts about wild dolphins . These 2 are my favourite.
1. Dolphins never fall fully asleep they rest half their brain at a time
2. Baby dolphins feed from their mother every 3 minutes

We spotted lots of Dolphins on the trip and just as we were told that it was ok to get in the water the dolphins started swimming away and they no longer wanted to play. We got lots of amazing photographs of the dolphins and watched them playing for an hour.

Mum and me then went on a high speed boat out to sea to see a place called the hole in the wall. This is where the waves have washed a big whole all the way through the rocks. This has taken millions of years. The sea was too rough to go through the hole while we were on the the boat. There is a house here on the land that the lighthouse keeper used to live in but no longer lives there. It is 18 miles from the nearest house and there are no roads to get there.

We then had a really fast speadboat trip back to the land. It was a really great day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb