Its "pai" here


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
January 20th 2010
Published: January 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Most towns in New Zealand have a Maori meaning, like running water or something spiritual like that, or Urenui for example, which means "big cock". But humble little Paihia actually means nothing, jack, zilch. A european settler named the town, actually i lie - with some maori meaning, "pai" means good, and this settler simply after being in the Bay for a bit, stated "its Pai here" and it stuck, with some twisted spelling later as Paihia.

This is one small town. Being a beach resort and the wealthy aucklanders summer playground, if it rains - nothing opens. All trade is pretty much in the summer months, and 80% of the town are tourists. Now as always with small towns, there are pro's and cons. everyone seems to know each other, each others business, and in turn yours is public knowledge too.

But there are some cute things too, the tiny village hall holds a yoga class which has all the 70 yr olds from the church there each week, and there is volunteer fire brigade service, which still out of tradition is called out each time by an air raid siren which echoes around the whole village. This is great to hear (obviously not for the car accident they are inevitably attending) but it also unsettles every guest in the hotel. Living on the hotel grounds, this is very amusing, as last time it went off at 10pm at night, i sat on my door step and laughed at the whole of the SAGA group rush to reception in panic, and especially at the elderly lady in a room a few doors down who appeared in a few minutes with her suitcases packed in hand ready to evacuate! Hilarious.

But there is definitely something to be said for the simpler way of life. It is very relaxing to wile away the hours on the beach, walk down the one high street and know must of the locals, at a moments notice jump in a fishing boat at dawn and watch dolphins while you fish (until sea sickness sets in that is) Its also giving me lots of time to read and relax, which is great - Missing you all back home a little too it must be said!! the NZ news is great at reporting the latest from the isles, we have heard it all from extensive coverage of the "big freeze", to the British Airways strikes, to the Rise of Buckfast as the most crime linked alcohol in not only Glasgow, but Scotland the british isles. Funny as!

Anyhow, hope you are all enjoying the winter, and would be great to hear some news from the other side of this web page sometime!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 86, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb