A million ways to say paradise...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
January 5th 2009
Published: January 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

What can i say? This place is just paradise on a stick and some more!

Its hot, with a cooling breeze, blue clear water, golden sand, plenty of forest and greenery just a stones throw away from the beach. What more could anyone want.

We caught the bus early this morning at 7am. After the bus had filled we started to head to Paihia, aiming to be here by lunch. As soon as we had left the City, with some great views of the marina and sun on the rooves of the buildings, the countryside became more dramatic and green. Mountains began to grow out of the ground, they were covered with clusters of tree or clouds of sheep.

On route we stopped at the New Zealand Honey Centre. Anyone that knows me would know that i didn't want to leave. I flippin' love honey and there were soooo many types of honey to try that i was there like pooh bear, up to my eyeballs in the sticky stuff! We even saw the bee's making the honey in their hives. It was heaven.

After a spot of breakfast, we hit the road again. Each corner had a new breathtaking landscape. As we got further north the land dropped away either side to reveal vast bays with clear blue water, deserted beaches and boats. Loads of boats. Houses too, houses that backed onto the beach.

The bays were perfectly curved like a crescent moon. The sand shone out gold and white reflecting the sun.

Paihia is a tiny town with maybe three main streets. It only reaches inland about a hundred yards. There is a long beach that stretches the length of the town. On top of the cliff at the far end is the treaty ground, but we will tell you more about that again.

We went for a wee explore along the coast, climbing over rocks that line the bottom of the cliff to find an entirely deserted beach. We sat there for some time watching the waves and catching the sun, then decided to head back to put our swimwear on and try the water out.

We ran down the beach and dived head first into the water. It was, as my dentist described it when he was telling me about it, like bath water. We swam for maybe a half an hour before getting out and drying off in the dun.

This place is so chilled and relaxed, alot like Waiheke Island. Things that don't need to be done aren't and people spend their time chilling on the water, or by the water. Everyone is friendly, except for a few of our fellow travellers, which is bizzare, they don't seem to want to talk???

I cooked us up a chilli for tea, which will last two nights. The whole shop for two days cost the same as a bikini!

Got alot planned for the next two days including sailing through the islands, dolphin spotting, fishing and rowing to another small and hopefully deserted island!

Right now its good to be on the road again, but have everything slow down to Kiwi pace, feel sand and sea beneath my toes (and in every sodding crevise in my body) and having a blue sky and hot sun over head!

Peace out!

Advertisement



5th January 2009

good reading, keep up the good fun, snowing outside my window.
8th January 2009

cheers bro!

Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb