TO THE WAITINGI TREATY HOUSE AND BACK TO AUCKLAND


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
November 18th 2008
Published: November 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Friday, 31st October
8460 - We left our motel at 9.30 and drove to Waitangi Treaty Historic Site. This is considered by many New Zealanders to be their most important historic site. The Waitangi Treaty grounds here comprise of 506 hectares and are beautifully manicured and with views of the Waitangi River estuary. The naval flagpole marks the spot where the Treaty of Waitangi was signed between the Maori chiefs and the British Crown in 1840. We also saw the huge waka (war canoe) made from three kauri trees, the beautiful meeting house in which the designs and intricate carvings tell a story and one of the oldest homes where the official British Resident, James Busby lived. So much history at this place, I cannot write it all here. All so very interesting though. We left this place at 11.30. We were going to see Haruru Falls but couldn’t find so we then travelled onto Kawakawa where we saw the famous public loo created by the artist Hundertwasser. At Kamo we got petrol and was 176.9 a litre. We visited the Whangarei Falls (8543) which were very pretty. Through Whangarei and then drove along the scenic route via Ruakaka and onto Waipu Cove (8599) and Langs Beach where we had a late lunch of fish and chips and fed the seagulls before we joined the highway and once more passed through Te Hana, Wellsford, Warkworth - a short stop at Orewa, through Silverdale and arrived in Auckland at about 6.15. Booked into the Airport Gateway Hotel where we had dinner. Chris and I decided to have a spa but we don’t think the heating was turned on. We braved it for about ¾ hour while in that time convincing ourselves it was getting warmer, but we both emerged freezing and raced into a hot shower before packing up in readiness for an early morning start.

Saturday 1st November.
Up early to take the car back at 6.50 (8743) at the Auckland International Airport and then through the formalities before boarding our plane, QF142 and took off at 9.00 and had a very smooth flight and arrived in Sydney at 10.15 Australian time. We passed through Customs eventually as Chris’ luggage was checked thoroughly. We waited at the airport until it was time to board Murray’s coach at 1.15 to travel back to Canberra. Arrived at 4.15 and caught a taxi home. We watched the kangaroos and ducks and then went down to the Eagle Hawk Pub for dinner and then to bed after a wonderful trip to New Zealand.
It was great to see Mary after 5 years and to meet Edward and that Janice and John, Mary, Edward and Chris were able to share my birthday with me.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb