A day with the dolphins, also a big quake in NZ!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
December 21st 2007
Published: December 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

So lets start this blog traditionally, with a summary of the weather, pishing it down again, but we have decided just to get on with it, and continue as if the sun was shining, those pac a macs are getting a good airing!

Today we went on a dolphin discovery tour of the Bay of Islands, with the hope of firstly finding them and then swimming with them. Well just as Graham and I were getting doubts if it was all just a big con to skin tourists of their dollars, we came across a pod of 15. Unfortunately, they had juvenilles with them, so in accordance with the DOC ( department of conservation ) , we were not allowed to enter the water. However, the weather, made the water not seem too inviting so we were not too dissapointed. The boat we were on had a really low bow, and the dolphins liked to swim right under us when G and I were hanging over the edge we could almost touch them. They also took great delight in squirting water on us through their blow holes. Although they were wild dolphins, they seemed to take great delight in putting on a show of acrobatic skills for us tourists, skimming on their backs, and jumping right out of the water and flipping their tails playfully.....its a shame the photos do not do it any justice as you could never predict what was happening next and by the time you had reacted their tricks were over!!


Despite the rain we had a really great day, it was nice not to drive for a change, can you believe we have clocked up 2500 km since the 10th December!

Guys do not worry ( in case you were ) you may have seen the earthquake on the news, but we are unnafected, and have no plans to head that way.

Short and sweet tonight, its raining so we are off for some beers and a game or two of pool. love to you all Cat and Graham x x


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb