Rangitoto Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Parnell
December 24th 2010
Published: December 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Not a great nights sleep but we were up & out at a reasonable hour on Friday to catch the ferry over to Rangitoto Island, the youngest of the volanoes around Auckland at around 600 years old. It’s an interesting place, black lava makes up bulk of the island & you can witness the colonisation of this inhospitable landscape by mosses and hardy trees. This creates little patches of vegetation which slowly grow into each other & wll continue to do so until the island is covered in forest. There are also little Baches dotted around the place & the remains of a military outpost used during the world wars. The summit offers views around the bay over to Auckland, north shore, & the other islands inclusing Waiheke. We also poked around in some of the lava caves – formed by the outer crust solidifying & the molten lower layers draining away. We were back at the pier in good time to catch the last ferry back to the mainland where after a last minute Christmas Eve shop we headed back to the hostel, unfortunately too late for carols at the Cathedral. We has a fairly festive evening with a bottle of rose Pinot Noir before heading to bed early.

Unfortunately Mark has passed on the cold be brought from the UK to me – feels like a mix of a cold & flu as my throat feels raw, I’m sniffing a little bit but not much (yet) but my head hurts like hell & I feel achey & slightly feverish. Great. Just what I wanted for Christmas. It had better clear up before we start our Australia adventure as the last thing I want is to have spent all that money & then feel like crap!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

First colonisersFirst colonisers
First colonisers

Lichens & moss are the first colonisers of the lava.
New growthNew growth
New growth

Saplings appear to sprout out of the barren lava.
Kidney fernsKidney ferns
Kidney ferns

A rare fern.
You can't sink a rainbow...You can't sink a rainbow...
You can't sink a rainbow...

A tribute to the Rainbow Warrior, a rainbow which, contary to the quote, did sink!
Run away!Run away!
Run away!

This microbial looking artwork(?) is next to our local supermarket... We don't entirely trust it!


26th December 2010

Lol that microbe looks a bit like pooh too :P

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb