Day in Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Central
March 20th 2012
Published: March 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We headed to Auckland on the 16th of March to join in with the fun and festivities of the Volvo Ocean Race, currently located till Sunday 18th March in Auckland, Teams from NZ, France, USA, United Arab Emirates, Spainand China are taking part in the round the world race, stopping off in the aforementioned countries along the way, and no expense has been spared to let the public join in with entertainment set up in the Rce village in the viaduct harbour. Most of it was wasted on me, but I did enjoy looking at the yachts, wow some of them must cost the earth! and the slant on teaching people about the need to clean up the seas, or as they put it, providing recycling and waste solutions. We have already noticed the huge push to keep the seas clean in NZ. There's a sea week going on in Waiheke with a lecture froma marine biologist at the Artworks in Oneroa on the 23rd March that we're hoping to get to. Entry by koha (donation).

Entertainment also included watching free bands (Auckland's Peter Urlich, Brown Brothers and Halo- all corporate cover version bands- Halo were the best).

Yesterday
Arriving on the ferryArriving on the ferryArriving on the ferry

viaduct Harbour
(19th) we finally discovered storm weather in Waiheke, the surf was up as was the rain...


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Main stageMain stage
Main stage

Outdoor beanbags are found everywhere
Maori chief statueMaori chief statue
Maori chief statue

Outside ferry terminal
surf's up againsurf's up again
surf's up again

These guys surf all day long


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb