Sights and Sounds of Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Central
August 29th 2011
Published: September 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Auckland is New Zealand's largest and most populated city but then even when I toured it's streets, it doesn't seem to be very much of a city like New York or Hong Kong. There is not very many people. Even when Lie Wei, Lie Yee and a bunch of my travel mates decided to go walk down one of Auckland's most happening streets, Ponsonby Road, you don't get to see throngs of people partying or dining out like say Bangsar in KL. Instead, you see a smattering of bars and restaurants here and there. This city feels so different.

While staying with Eva, her son (and my nephew) Aaron brought me to Mt Eden. It was formerly a volcano that collapsed onto itself creating a large crater at the top of the hill. It's a relatively small crater if you were to compare it to the Crater Lake, Oregon. However, the view of the city from it's peak was amazing.

New Zealand is very touristy so everywhere you go there are plenty of tour companies offering you a long list of activities to try. A few of these tour companies try to give you a taste of what they have to offer by giving travellers a free half day tour of Auckland. One of my travel mates, Samantha booked us on the Kiwi Experience (the other being Stray). It comes with a complimentary Auckland Harbour Bridge climb (not as grand as Sydney's) and a free tour of the north side of the city, Devonport. You can opt to buy a bungy jump off the Harbour Bridge for NZ$120 and a NZ$6 fish and chips lunch at Devonport but those are not obligatory.

The Harbour Bridge climb was nice and scenic. Watching the bungy jump was nerve wrecking. I wonder if I would have the guts to do it when it comes to my turn in Queenstown.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb