On the Way to Noumea, New Caledonia


Advertisement
New Caledonia's flag
Oceania » New Caledonia » South Province » Noumea
March 6th 2008
Published: March 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday, March 5, 2008
Today is another sea day as we are about half way to Noumea. The calendar of events is packed. We began our day by attending the lecture on Noumea. Now know what to do, and not do; what to see, and not see. After the Noumea lecture we had the next Explorations Speakers Series lecture. This time it was by a Colonel David Horner - Australia’s military historian. He has an incredible resume as a student, professor, veteran, author/editor (26 books), and consultant to TV programs. His talk was titled, “War Comes to Paradise Japan Strikes!” Basically his talk was on the planning to attack Pearl Harbor. From this talk I went to play the game “Lost at Sea” where you are in the lifeboat and have 15 things and you must prioritize them in importance. We won - didn’t actually win anything except bragging rights. Later in the afternoon was another of the Explorations Speaker Series Lecture: “the Great Defeats Singapore, the Philippines and Burma” presented by Major Rich Bushby (active duty in the Australian service). This talk was on how although outnumbered the Japanese still were able to achieve stunning victories by planning and aggressive action against the Allied Forces. Bingo was next and while I was close - got to stand (you do that when you only have one number left) it wasn’t enough. The show for the night was advertised as having the “multi-talented Gerri Gerrick” on the stage. Well we left after the first 10 minutes, after about the first 15 people had left out the door by us. Not the worst I have seen, but certainly not worth sitting through. She was telling jokes that no one in the audience thought was funny and singing songs that few of us knew. She definitely did not know her audience.


Advertisement



6th March 2008

Date line...Lake City
Still winter here with -3 this morning bit not enough snow to plow since you left. Warren is still in hopital, maybe out Saturday. Other than that quiet here. We leave for Spring Training Sunday. Sounds like you guys are having a great time,even dressing up which I don't believe Dennis can do. Have fun and be safe..but not too as it is boring..

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb