Rangiroa Diving


Advertisement
French Polynesia's flag
Oceania » French Polynesia » Rangiroa
April 26th 2012
Published: April 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Rangiroa is the largest atoll in the Tuamotus, and the second largest atoll in the world. There are less than 1,500 permanent residents though. The major attraction to Rangiroa is the underwater life that is enhanced by the strong currents brought by the tides. There are only two main, large, passes (channels) for water to enter the lagoon. There are over a hundred small ones, but only two that you can dive in. Current is life, and no matter when the current is incoming or outgoing, the current is ripping through these passes.



The best dives are supposed to be during the incoming tide at the Tiputa Pass, the largest pass on the island. Unfortunately, during our two days in Rangiroa, the incoming tide never came to fruition due to the large south swell that was pounding the south side of the lagoon, therefore increasing the water level and basically not allowing any water to come in even during a tide change. Regardless, you can still dive on an outgoing tide, or no tide, which is what we did, and we still saw a lot of cool stuff.



I did five dives over 2 days, and although these dives were pretty average for what they normally experience, I think that the pictures show that they still were quite cool. I did 4 dives at the Tiputa Pass, and 1 at the Avatoru Pass. I saw sharks, dolphins, turtles, eels, barracudas, and all sorts of reef fish.



I haven't really been ashore much on Rangiroa, so I don't really even know what else there is to do besides dive. Most people come for the diving, others for honeymoons, some for both.



I shot all of these photos myself. I do not know how to properly use my camera yet, but hopefully will have it dialed in soon before our next dive adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Silver Tip UpcloseSilver Tip Upclose
Silver Tip Upclose

This shark is usually a deep dwelling reef shark, but sometimes they are coaxed into coming up to shallower depths, mainly by dive guides like ours feeding them.
Dolphin Molester aka our DivemasterDolphin Molester aka our Divemaster
Dolphin Molester aka our Divemaster

Really nice guy, but his whole operation was a bit dolphin obsessed.
Tiny FishTiny Fish
Tiny Fish

Found in the famous 'Blue Lagoon'
Super Rare Leaf FishSuper Rare Leaf Fish
Super Rare Leaf Fish

a nickel if you can spot it
Blue LagoonBlue Lagoon
Blue Lagoon

This lagoon is about 15 miles from the inhabited part of Rangiroa, and is usually full of crystal clear water. The day we went had average visibility, but it was still good.
Rangiroa SunsetRangiroa Sunset
Rangiroa Sunset

Sundowners at the Kia Ora


26th April 2012

Wow
You know 'WOW' is 'MOM' turned upside down. Don't forget about my heart-shaped rock collection. Just a little one.... Also, beach glass and pottery. XXXOOOXXX
6th May 2012
Jacks Circling

Gorgeous!
A beautiful image of the wonders within our oceans.
13th May 2012
Rangiroa Sunset

A sunset that dreams are made of...
Another wonderful image in a blog full of beautiful photographs.
16th May 2012
Jacks Circling

Fantastic pix!
17th August 2012

Awesome blog
Hi loved this blog, am looking to do the Pass and wondered if you could send me a msg about who you dived with, Cheers Cindy

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb