Black Pearls of the Dangerous Archipelago


Advertisement
French Polynesia's flag
Oceania » French Polynesia » Manihi
May 15th 2008
Published: June 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Manihi of the Tuamotu


Approach to ManihiApproach to ManihiApproach to Manihi

The Dangerous Archipelago lurks..
"And the lone seaman all the night
Sails astonished among stars."

- Emerson

The Tuamotu Atolls of French Polynesia

The Dangerous Archipelago

The green glow from the radar casts sinister shadows on our faces. The atoll comes into view on the screen; a thin ring flashing on the console is our only warning of the danger that lies ahead. Ten miles away in the pitch black, razor sharp reefs lurk just under the surface while waves crash and pound on the coral just as they have for the past million years.

This is the Tuamotu, historically known as the Dangerous Archipelago, once home to an ancient 800 km-long range of rumbling volcanoes. When the volcanoes emerged, coral began forming in the surrounding shallows. Over time, the volcanoes began to erode back into the sea, but the coral continued to grow, leaving a footprint of the long-lost volcanic island's shore. Eventually, fluctuating ocean levels, sand deposits and organic debris have built up above sea level, leaving ringed islands, some 20 km in diameter but only about 6 feet high - hard enough to spot during the day, and virtually impossible at night.

Many wrecks of the past
Typical Tuamotu DigsTypical Tuamotu DigsTypical Tuamotu Digs

Also where you can buy pearls.
lie here, drawn onto the reefs by the romance of mystery and adventure. Today, the Tuamotu are famous for two things; French nuclear testing and Black Tahitian Pearls. Rare and exquisite, the pearls are plucked from the heart of the Pacific Ocean and keenly traded for Ecuadorian rum. The nuclear testing, meanwhile, has not been as big a hit.

Black Tahitian Pearls

Black Tahitian Pearls are highly valued gems because of their rarity; the culturing process for them dictates a smaller volume output and can never be mass produced. The particular oyster, Pinctada margaritifera, often rejects the irritant which causes the pearl and they are quite sensitive to changing climatic and ocean conditions.

The value of the pearls in jewelry is determined by a combination of the luster, color, size, lack of surface flaw and symmetry. Generally, larger and rounder pearls are the most highly valued.

The exception is in their presentation. For example, finding a collection of irregularly-shaped-but-nearly-identical pearls can be quite a challenge, and making them into an interesting, chique necklace may fetch a very high price in the boutiques of Paris.

Last of the Trickle or First of the Flood?

That
Pearl FarmPearl FarmPearl Farm

If this shack's a shuckin', please come a'knockin!
brings us back to a close encounter with one of the atolls, Manihi, which is the original home of the Black Tahitian Pearls and an epicentre of high seas adventure.

My latest ride is with a couple of fellow "Buscaderos de Gusto" - an American, along with his Swedish friend who can take me as far as Tahiti. We have decided to stop here for a day or two to trade with the locals and soak up the Polynesian atoll experience.

It seems that with every passing yacht, the world-famous Polynesian hospitality here disappears just a little more, although their business sense is still strong. As I visit more of French Polynesia, I see the locals' eyes glazing over with disinterest to visiting yachts.

Polynesia was a place where only 40 years ago, a small trickle of sailors passing through encountered canoes and flowers and waving girls wearing grass skirts when they arrived, but as time went on and sails began to appear almost daily, that playfulness waned.

So as I sail under that astonishing star-filled sky, the question that I keep repeating to myself is, are we the last of that original trickle? Are we
Got Hammock?Got Hammock?Got Hammock?

Did I use that line already? Ah well. Rum drinks in paradise kill creativity braincells.
still living on the edge, in a world where solitude and playful innocence are out there, somewhere just over the horizon?

Or are we just riding on the first wave of the flood, desperately trying to stay ahead so we can experience something before it's hopelessly drowned?

(pause for dramatic effect)

To be continued...


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Heart of an AtollHeart of an Atoll
Heart of an Atoll

As you can see, the lagoons inside atolls are quite large. Frankly, I was shocked.
Shuckin ShackShuckin Shack
Shuckin Shack

I'm not a oyster shucker, I'm an oyster shucker's son. All the day he shuckas til all the shuckin's done!
The Money ShotThe Money Shot
The Money Shot

Black Tahitian Pearl.
Ghost Town?Ghost Town?
Ghost Town?

Nope. Manihi during siesta.
Outside an AtollOutside an Atoll
Outside an Atoll

This is the outer edge of the atoll. A sheer drop off into the deep blue - no continental plate here. Fascinating.
Red Light DistrictRed Light District
Red Light District

Midnight navigation in the thick of danger..
The Warm Glow of Radar The Warm Glow of Radar
The Warm Glow of Radar

Squeezing between two atolls at night!
Can You Spot the Atoll?Can You Spot the Atoll?
Can You Spot the Atoll?

If not, it's already too late...


4th June 2008

Awesome
That is too bad the local girls don't still come out playfully in grass dresses..... Dam the ones that came before you...
4th June 2008

Beauty
Clive, I've been a real fan of your blog. I appreciate the effort you put into it to shed some light on the beauty of places but also some issues and questions at hand. So are you not travelling with the same guy you crossed the Pacific with? Does the oceanic beauty of the Polynesia over rule all coastal beauty of South America?
6th June 2008

Tell me about it!
Dude.... you hit the nail on the head. Too many visitors = dilution of the possibility for grass-skirt and coconut-bikini greeters! Where does that paradise still exist? Hopefully not just in the old movies and story books..

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 39; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb