Bula! It's Fiji Time!


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands
June 20th 2007
Published: June 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

View to the beachView to the beachView to the beach

At Nabua Lodge
Going from the cold and snow in New Zealand to the tropical sunshine of Fiji was a welcome treat! Fiji is a very beautiful and colourful country - green landscape, clear azure waters, and lively locals with fabulous flowers in their hair (yep, fellas wear 'em too)!

For us, it is also a place of coincidental meetings. Eventually everyone washes up on these shores, it seems. We saw people that we had met on our previous travels in Auz & NZ. But more surprisingly we also met Mathew Cook (!!!), a guy that we used to go to school with, and Amy, a girl who Ursula worked with.

After a couple of days on the mainland we headed out to the Yasawa Islands, just to the North West. Our first stop was on the island of Waya. We stayed at a really beautiful, quite simple resort right next to where Waya Island joins onto the smaller island of Waya Lai Lai. At low tides you could walk across a sand bar between the two. It was a great intro to Fiji life - we saw fire dancing, the wonders of what you can do with a coconut, snorkeling and even went to the local church on Sunday (a fantastic, non-touristy experience). Alex also realized that he had a great talent for climbing coconut trees. We stayed at the resort for four nights, which made us almost permanent residents. It was great because it meant we got to know the staff from the local village.

Next stop was Nacula Island (pronounced Nathzula). We spent a few nights at the lovely Nabua Lodge (although the staff generally weren't as friendly as the other places) which looked out over fantastic blue seas. From here we went hand-line fishing . Unfortunately, we only caught little fish (which we used as bait) so we didn't get to eat them. We also got to do the Bula dance several times (ask for a demo when we get home!) and even played musical statues (although Alex refused to participate).

Then we went onto another resort called Oarsman Bay. This place was fantastic and far more luxurious than the other places we had been in. From here we did several snorkeling trips. It was awesome! There were so many tropical fish, of so many different varieties. It was definitely up there with our snorkeling
Alex husks a coconutAlex husks a coconutAlex husks a coconut

With Nessi at Sunset resort
on the Great Barrier Reef. The food at the resort was fab and we stuffed our faces with lots of freshly caught fish, lamb, chicken, salads and fruit.

We only had 12 days in Fiji, which didn't feel quite enough...we were definitely left wanting more.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

At the summitAt the summit
At the summit

There was a 100m drop on the other side!
Climbing...Climbing...
Climbing...

...the coconut palm
Relaxing on the hammockRelaxing on the hammock
Relaxing on the hammock

At Sunset resort
Sunset at SunriseSunset at Sunrise
Sunset at Sunrise

View from the top of the hill
Happy DayzHappy Dayz
Happy Dayz

Al and Urs still happily married
CrabbyCrabby
Crabby

Found on the beach at Oarsmans Bay


Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0683s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb