Hiking and Dancing on Waya


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands
May 4th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we decided to try and hike to the highest point of Waya Island, Eagles Point. Our guide book claimed that it was an easy route; however through experience we found it to be far from easy! It was a very steep climb and more scrambling than walking. Towards the top we ascended through thick rainforest and Bex completely freaked out over the "millions of spiders with fangs dripping with blood!!!!!!!" When we got about three quarters of the way up we reached a sheer drop of about 100m and could go no further... The sites were impressive enough (as you can see from the photos) so we weren't too disappointed not to get right to the top. Due to all the flesh eating spiders, it took (some of) us a considerable amount of time to get the bottom, but we made it alive before the tide came in.

Strolling back from the cliffs a big Fijian man dressed in a grass skirt appeared and gestured us towards the village as a ceremony was about to begin. We'd been so privileged to arrive on the Island during the gathering of all Methodist leaders from the entire Yasawa group. The special festival happens once a year and goes to each different island each year - so we were really lucky to have been there at the same time! The ceremony was the highlight of the four day gathering and involved half an hour of traditional Fijian warrior dancing (see video) and some beautiful signing - we've not met a Fijian who can't sing yet! During the dancing local women would come and pin clothing and money on the Men as a sign of appreciation, causing a lot of laughter! Following the dancing there was a Kava ceremony, where the Religious leaders were presented with a bowl of Kava in turn. This was a really amazing experience and something that was not orchestrated for tourists, as is common on many islands - we felt very lucky to have witnessed it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



12th May 2007

That sounds like an amazing part of your trip. As you said, you very lucky to be invited to witness something as special as that.
12th May 2007

Fiji
Bula, continuing to enjoy seeing the world through your photographs and amazed at how many different experiences you are having. Best wishes.

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb