The final leg of Australia and our time in Fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands
January 8th 2007
Published: January 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello, we've sadly finished our trip down the east coast of Australia and have reached Sydney. Between Brisbane and here we had a lovely week soaking up the sun, sea, surf, and hippy atmosphere in Byron Bay. While there we did a lovely walk up to a lighthouse which is the Eastern most point of Australia (we also did the Southern most point in Tasmania). It was then just a quick stop of at Coff's Harbour and Port Maquarie before our last stop of Newcastle. Here we did a day trip to the infamous Hunter Valley for a bit of wine tasting. Needless to say we took full advantage of the wine on offer and got a little tiddly.

Just before Christmas we spent two weeks in Fiji. It was brilliant. The Fijian people truly lived up to their reputation of being laid back friendly people, they were lovely and all carried infectious smiles. For one week we did some Island hopping on a group of Islands called the Yasawas and the Mamanucas. Fiji is made up of over 300 Islands but unfortunately we could only fit 7 islands in. They were little paradise islands, most islands didn't have running water or electricity, the evenings were always fun carrying a oil lanterns around and drinking rain water. We were always made to feel very welcome, every time we arrived or left a resort the family would get together and serenade us, at first we were embarrassed but we soon got used to it. On one Island we visited a cave which had an underwater passage to another cave, it was very scary but you just had to dunk you're head hold your breath and swim through, we managed it...just. We also did a mountain trek which meant visiting a remote village to pick up our guide, while there we befriended many of the local children. The trek took 2 hours up very steep and sometime perilous treks to reach the top. By the time we got there me and Rich were seriously hyperventilating, our guide hadn't even broken a sweat!! (we've sworn to join a gym when we get back) The view at the top was stunning as you could see the chain of the Yasawa Islands. On the way back down we had a quick stop off at the so called fresh water pools, which seemed more like a murky pond, but the cool down was much needed.

We then spent the other week travelling down the coral coast (western coast of the main island). We ended up staying at a beautiful resort that some of you might already know. It was where the last celebrity love island was filmed. I never saw the programme but apparently it looks exactly the same. They've basically made the set into a resort. We weren't so lucky with the weather there as it rained for a few days. So we figured that if we were already wet then why not get wetter and the next day we went on a grade 2 and 3 white water rafting trip in the Namosi Highlands. It was great because of all the rain meant the river was much higher and faster than usual, which made the rapids even better. We travelled 25km in total down the river through lush rain forest and gorges and must have gone past/through 80 waterfalls, The first set of rapids we went through me and Rich were screaming, (not a good idea when you're getting a faces full of water), we soon learnt and kept our mouths shut after that. We loved it and can't wait to do to again

Despite the Coup in Fiji, we ran into no trouble Just outside the main town of Nadi we went through a road block with soldiers with guns but they just smiled and waved at us.

We're with Esther and Chris at the moment in Sydney, they have been very kind to put us up for all this time. In the last couple of weeks we've explored the city centre, climbed the Harbour bridge Pylon, been to Manly on the ferry, visited Bondi Beach and Darling Harbour's Wildlife world and seen a day of the Ashes Test which was brilliant...despite the result.

On Christmas day we had a meal with Chris, Esther and their friends in Bondi Beach. We had a feast of prawns, marlin, duck, ham etc, then went for a surf at the beach after playing cricket (Rich was so good at bowling that they named him the Welsh Wizard). It was a great day, even though the 27 degree heat was a little strange for Christmas time. Although it was our first Christmas without the parents, it was also our first Christmas together so something to celebrate. And thanks to all who sent emails and cards. On boxing day Esther and Chris took us to Palm Beach where we hired a little tinny boat and did some fishing off the coast. We caught a few fish but nothing that was worth keeping.

On the 29th December, we met, as promised with Daisy and Greg on the steps of the Opera House. We had a few drinks and reminisced, then met again on New Years eve. We had a great position right on top of the opera house in front of the bridge. We were in position early, and had a long day sitting on the grass and quaffing wine, trying not to peak too early, but I reckon we timed it just about right, and enjoyed the best fireworks display (all $4.5m of it) we've ever seen. After saying our goodbye's we stumbled home and prepared for the hangover.

Since then we've met up with a few mates that we befriended up in Queensland and generally have taken it easy before we reach Thailand. We go to see a band tonight then the Blue Mountains tomorrow, and then fly to Bangkok on Thursday. It'll be nice to be able to barter for things and drink 80 pence beer again, but we're really going to miss Australia. (Laura's) Mom and Dad will be meeting us out there, we then hope to go to Cambodia with them to visit the temple of Angkor Waht.

Hope you're all safe and had a great Christmas and New Year.

As always, photos have been updated:

www.flickr.com/photos/richandlaura

and

www.flickr.com/photos/lauraandrich


Take Care,
Laura and Rich

Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0977s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb