Kitesurfing at Safari Lodge, Nananu-i-ra


Advertisement
Oceania » Fiji » Nananu I Ra
November 9th 2008
Published: November 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ross: After our leisurely three days aboard Pelorus Jack we decided to bus it to the other side of the main island of Viti Levu to an island called Nananu-i-ra. During our stay in Auckland we visited a kite shop in Takapuna where we picked up a leaflet about a kitesurfing centre in Fiji at Safari Lodge on Nananu-i-ra. With the promise of endless prevailing winds and aqua blue lagoons we hopped on... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

EmilEmil
Emil

Peer pressure forced him into his first kitesurfing lesson
Close-upClose-up
Close-up

Camera girl Ivens managed to get in on the action from the safety of the safety boat
Dodging the turtles!Dodging the turtles!
Dodging the turtles!

Occasionally, the odd turtle would be floating in your path. They'd dive out of the way pretty quick though.
StormsStorms
Storms

This storm front rolled in from the mainland
The beachThe beach
The beach

This is the beach right outside the Safari Lodge
Barbara digging for crabsBarbara digging for crabs
Barbara digging for crabs

She would sniff the sand and dig like crazy until a crab eventually flew out, at which point she'd grab it, shake it's legs off then leave it for dead. Nice.
CoralCoral
Coral

A lot of the coral is dead around the west coast but the reefs around Nananu-i-ra are a little more alive (though not quite as vibrant as the reef off Monuriki), probably due to the reduced boat traffic and fewer tourists.



7th March 2009

**WARNING** Proceed with caution
I believe the authors had good luck staying at Safari Lodge. I actually had the misfortune of staying at Safari Lodge once, had I known what I know today I can only say that anyone in the right mind should AVOID the place, just pick up a copy of the latest edition of Lonely Planet quote "avoid the place completley, we have been inundated with adverse comments" is uncharatercistically stated in black and white for good reasons too. My experiences defy belief, the lodge is a depressing construction site, the rooms are shabby and he had the nerve to try and charge $250 per night for a sub standard backpacker dorm. It was mosquito ridden, the water was stale, loud reverberating generator noises drown out any peace and quite and to make matters worse WARREN FRANCIS the owner, didn't refund our pre paid trip when we wanted to leave to another backpackers (after the first night) If your heading to Nananu I Ra, there are other places too stay at namely Chalies Place, Macdonalds Backpackers, Voli Voli Beach, and Bethams Cottages ALL are a higher standard of accommodation and have better facilities, food, cheaper boat transfers between Nananu I Ra and Ellington Wharf and are far better value for money. From what I have heard Warren's cash cow is closing down, so good riddance to bad rubbish! Refer to these links for more info and I hope you have a great holiday and enjoy Nananu as I did, it is one of the top islands in Fiji. Google search his name and check trip advisor, also DON'T PAY IN ADVANCE, this is not the norm for hotels in Fiji so do insist on checking out the place before going there.
8th March 2009

Safari Lodge Comments
Oh dear! Sounds like you did have a rough time. We didn't pay anywhere near that amount. In fact, it was cheaper than most of the budget places in Nadi when we stayed. There's not many kitesurfing set-ups in Fiji so unfortunately choice is limited but this place did come recommended by a reputable kitesurfing shop in Auckland. The place was empty while we were there and we had the pick of the dorm rooms. I guess you ended up in the one at the very top by the building site and electricity generators. Was it high season/fully booked while you were there? As per our blog, Warren was in Australia so we didn't have the pleasure of meeting him, though he was quite active in following up with courtesy e-mails. As a watersports resort for people on a backpacker budget, it was ideal for us. I guess if you'd specifically travelled half way across the world and had booked to stay for a fortnight, it'd be a different story. Hopefully, people planning on heading out there will have the sense to research reviews, blogs and comments like these before making their own minds up. If the latest write-up in the Lonely Planet is as you say, it'll probably finish the place off for good anyway...

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0185s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb