Relaxing Rarotonga


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
December 2nd 2014
Published: December 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Just arrivedJust arrivedJust arrived

Suits you!
Arrived in Rarotonga the day before we left, having crossed the international date line mid flight. Yes we are now official time travellers! This totally confused us, having had a Wednesday, then left NZ on Thursday, landed on another Wednesday then having another Thursday. It was a long week!

After a rather turbulent flight we were gutted to find the weather was very warm but misty grey and raining and had been for a few days. We hadn't come all this way for warm rain! But we were soon smiling as the airport was full of the sound of tropical music being played and we were greeted with a fragrant lei for each of us. Some looked better with flowers around their necks than others.

By lunch time the next day however the weather brightened up and so did we. Wall to wall sunshine for the next 5 days was bliss. Staying in two beachfront huts literally right on the beach meant we could spend our time here swimming, snorkelling and kayaking in the safety of the lagoon which encircles the island. We were rather startled to read that beyond the reef the seabed drops away to a depth of 4500m

Rarotonga is a beautiful place, very relaxed, we thought the Caribbean was chilled, but this takes it to a whole new level! However if the sun isn't shining, there really isn't anything to do, except try and work out the intricacies of the island buses which do a circular route around the island either clockwise or anti-clockwise, except on Saturday afternoons, or Friday evening between ten and midnight, or Sundays, or market days when they run extra buses but don't tell you!

Had a fantastic few days but were ready to leave. Left Rarotonga at 8.30am on 1st December and arrived back in Auckland four and a half hours later at 12 midday on 2nd December. Don't ask us what day it is!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

PE lessonPE lesson
PE lesson

Swim, snorkel or kayak?
Sun going downSun going down
Sun going down

Kayaks away and wine out of the fridge


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb