Reflections on Rarotonga


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
January 24th 2009
Published: January 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Rarotonga is probably the most idyllic place we have ever been. The whole island, except the north, has a continuous glorious beach and beautiful lagoon.

The lagoon is great for swimming, although snorkelling was a disappointment. Much of the coral is dead and ,therefore, there is not the amount, nor variation, of fish that can be seen on other islands. The best snorkelling we found was on the south coast by the Fruits of Rarotonga cafe.

Rarotonga is without the litter and general poverty seen on many tropical islands - no hassle and no beggars. Grass verges are cut and gardens maintained. Accommodation is reasonably priced and similar to Fiji mainland, however, the food, taxis and eating out are more expensive.

The island is served by a 20 mile road around the perimeter and an hourly bus service each way costs $4 per journey. The bus can take you to all the beaches, the best of which are on the south and south east coasts. Most beaches have shade under trees but you have to beware of falling coconuts!! As everything happens on the coast the bus can take you within 100 metres of anywhere you may want
Striped fishStriped fishStriped fish

At Fruits of Rarotonga. This fish was starstruck; as soon as it saw the camera it kept swimming in front of us!
to go. There is even a late night bus home from town (Avarua). Roads are good and drivers courteous, therefore, you have no problems driving and there are no traffic jams.

The people as you may expect are friendly, but not as friendly as the Fijians (they are exceptional!).

Our biggest disappointment has been the weather. We were warned that January was within the rainy season, however, of our 25 days, we have had about 40% sunshine (when it was very hot and humid), 30% cloudy and 30% heavy rain. There is not much to do in paradise when it rains!

Would we go again?
Certainly if it were nearer to the UK, but then it would be ruined by a McDonalds and "English breakfast served all day".

Would we recommend it for a holiday?
Definitely, but do not come in January. This is paradise if it is not raining.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.282s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb