To the South Pacific


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
August 31st 2008
Published: November 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

South Pacific 2008

Trip to Tahiti via New Zealand and the Cook Islands

After a year of intolerable idleness its now time to embark on a new adventure. This time its off too the South Pacific with a stint in the Cook Islands and French Polynesia. I must admit that after spending my first winter at home in 5 years I am looking forward to balmy days under a palm tree on a nice beach with a beer in my hand.

This trip is special for more than just the weather as Ruth and I will exchange vows on Muri Beach on Raratonga. Then it will be off to explore the island and do a little diving, trekking, horseriding etc. After that its on to Aitutaki before continuing on to Papeete on Tahiti in French Polynesia.

My parents will also be on the flight as they are attending the wedding before returning to New Zealand to do a driving holiday.

We flew from Adelaide to Raratonga Via Auckland and unfortunately had an over night stop over in New Zealand, so on this leg I booked a hotel close to the airport, we arrived there about 8pm and visited an all you can eat buffet restaurant down the street before watching some TV its up early the next morning for our flight to Raro at 7.30am.

The plane to Raro had in seat movies so I was happily entertained until arrival, the landing was a little bumpy due to strong wins pummelling the island and there was some concern that someone would be blown off the stairs, due to crossing the dateline we arrived on the 31 August the same day we left Adelaide

When we entered the terminal there was an old guy playing the ukulele and ofcourse we were given a string of flowers (lei) to wear around our necks before being taken to our bungalow at Muri Beach. We didnt realise that my parents hillside bungalow was quite a distance from wer we staying on top of a hill, still the exercise will do them good LOL. The bungalow is gorgeous it has a thatched roof and there were flowers everywhere and it is right on the beach is expensive but very nice, if the wind would just stop blowing it would be fantastic, there is a pool just outside our door and we can look out across the lagoon at the four motu (islands) from our porch.

We walked back up the hill to meat my parents before wandering along the cicle island road to the Yacht Club for a few cocktails and a pretty good meal, walked my parents back to their room it was very dark as there where no street lights, then returned to our own room.

Hopefully the wind will stop by morning.







Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb