Club Tropicana drinks are free...


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
July 30th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today, as I was borded of the stressful task of sunbathing, I hired a mountain bike and cycled into town and back. The bike did wonders for the thighs but left me abit saddle sore! :S

All this week there are celebrations taking place every night, people from the outer Cook Island all gather in Rarotonga and perform tradition Cook Islands dance, song and music. So, we headed down to the auditorium but they had sold out of tickets for tonights dance performance. Not ones to be downbeat, we took the opportunity to sample the wide range of tasty, traditional, treats that were on sale at stalls outside the auditorium!

The following day, Bean and I were blissfully minding our own business, on the beach, when a flapping, brightly coloured fish slapped on to my lap! "Fish and chips anyone?" a cheesey grinned man asked as he picked up the little fish, he had just thrown at us. If this was some chat up line, it was not working. Then he insisted that I come to the sea with him and release it, I screamed and refused both at the same time. So, the fish thrower turned his attention to Bean and made, a very unwilling, Bean release the poor fish back to the sea. Luckily, the fish seemed ok and it was lucky for him that animal lover Anna was not present or she may have thrown him across the beach. Bean and I moved away from the strange man, quickly and quietly.

Later that evening, as we were waiting for the bus to cinema, the fish throwner approached us again. Failing to impress either Bean or myself at the beach, he tried his luck with Anna. He asked her into she would like a lift into town on his scooter, while sitting on his scooter, revving his measly little engine. Anna politely declined (I cant imagine why). We Finally make it to the cinema, only to be told that not enough people had turned up to see the movie (Spiderman 3), so they can not afford to screen it. Maybe, this is one of the few downsides to living on a tiny, tropic, paradise. So, we made do with a meal at a local Indian returant, infact the only Indian resturant on the Island and watch Bollywood pop video's.

Bean and Anna rented mountain bikes the following day and took a trip to town and back. Anna also found that they were very comfortable seats but uber fit Bean did not feel a thing.

Our hostel had told us that Wednesday nights were a big night out in Rarotonga and that a local nightclub, The Banana court, served up a free liter of orange and vodka on a first come, first serve basis. Ok, so it may not be free Club tropicana drinks but George was playing on the sound system and the drinks were very free. The banana court, or the BC as called by the locals, is the oldest club in Rarotonga but that didn't sopt it from jumping tonight! Our hostel provided a mini bus service to the club and we were joined by lovely, young couple from England, a girl from Ireland and a guy from Japan. We were pretty much the first ones to arrive so the vodka and orange was ours for the taking. We had a few free drinks and suddenly felt the urge to dance and gyrate our hips kicked in! We were soon dancing with the locals too, Bean found herself a fat man scoop look-a-like and I was being swung around by a man looking very much like Brendan Cole, that slimy one from strictly come dancing! Our mini bus was picking us up at midnight, so like cinderella we flea the ball into the night, never to be seen again...

Thanks for reading, love Sooty. x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb