Much awaited update


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
January 18th 2007
Published: January 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

OK, I know - I haven't been blogging regularly (read, at all) for the last couple of weeks. so now i'm gonna try and remember everything that's happened for all of that time. hope you're in a reading mood...

Christmas was spent at the esther honey veterinary clinic with two scottish vet student girls (Alice & Catherine) who were doing a similar placement for their course. there were other people there too, a vet from belgium (sophie) and a recent high school graduate from Melb (Lucy) and a bunch of animals. it was a bit of a makeshift christmas lunch - not really the traditional meal you would expect at home, but it was awesome anyway.

The week between christmas and new years was spent at the hospital - i was on a surgical rotation for 3 weeks, and i've seen so many different procedures, from intramedullary rods of femurs after scooter crashes, to skin grafting, to caesarean section, to lipoma removal, to haemorroidectomy, and appendicectomy. it's all very random, but the variety keeps it interesting.

I decided to be a good girl and work on new years eve because i thought it would be really busy - big mistake, i should have partied like all normal people cause i just ended up almost falling asleep at the front desk waiting for the 1 patient who came in with urinary retention and needed a catheter. it was very uneventful.

But the party scene on the island is getting a bit of a work-out. I've been to a place called whatever bar a few times and they have an awesome mix of music, drinks are fairly cheap ($4 for a bicardi and coke) and they're an outdoor bar upstairs right on the beach, so the atmosphere is awesome. have been to island night a couple of times - a traditional show with music, dancing and costumes plus or minus a traditional meal. it's always good value and then afterwards they play music and open up the dance floor for everyone. Another place called banana court does 20L of free vodka on a wednesday night - it's dodgy vodka, so we usually have a few at home and hitch into town for the very cool R&B boogy fest from about 10pm. who do i go out with?? There were a bunch of aussie boys from SA staying at Tiare Village with me and they were always keen for a party, likewise 2 english boys and a NZ girl. there's a kiwi finance guy who's doing an audit of the cook islands government (very secretive stuff - i'd tell you but have to kill you), and a dutch couple at tiare village. there was another girl from NZ at esther honey, so we used to go out as a group before she went home on friday, and there's another group of 2 aussie med students and 1 kiwi med student who've been here now for 2 weeks and they're staying at another backpackers accommodation, and are always keen for a party.

I'm getting fed well - i'm kinda rotating being cooked for with cooking for people, the deep sea fish here is so cheap. we had a BBQ a couple of nights ago and i bought 8 pieces of broadbill (swordfish), massive pieces fresh from the boat that morning and it was only $20NZ. it was superb. we had a communal feast with about 10 people, with BBQ fish, BBQ mushrooms and eggplant, salad, mash, pawpaw, mango, banana and awesome conversation. it was excellent fun!!

my housemate stephan (the german) left last night - it was a bit sad cause we got along really well, despite the language barrier. he'd only had 30 hours of english teaching before he arrived, but his english was coming along nicely by the time he left and he was starting to crack jokes - very funny guy!!! we also had a smart arsed kiwi in our chalet for 1 week, he was very entertaining, good value indeed!!

I hired a bicycle with the intention of getting fit and riding up the hospital hill - it conquered me most days instead of the other way around, but for the last week it's been raining constantly, good ol' cyclone season over here, so i've hired a car. it's so much easier and it'll be handy when mum and damien arrive on saturday. It's a little white gogomobile, excellent aircon - which is handy cause the passenger window doesn't wind down - it's a dream (?)

Alright, i hope that tides you over for a couple of days when i remember the other stuff i've done - I pray that you're all well, keep me posted on your worlds by email. i'll be home soon to catch up and have a photo/story fest, but in the meantime, take care and have fun.
Love always
Therese
OXOXOXOXOXOXOXXO

Advertisement



29th January 2007

back to work
So, happy traveller. you every thinking of getting back to work? just doing up a roster and would love to know when you want some money. i also have something for you from my trip! can't wait to catch up.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb