Kia Orana


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
December 10th 2006
Published: December 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hey There Everybody
We have arrived in paradise. A very hot and humid paradise, but it's fantastic!. Our flights were good, given that we spent as much time waiting in airports as in the air. Flight time total was about 7 hours and we arrived just after midnight on Saturday morning to 26 degrees. since then i've done nothing but sweat - ben keeps laughing at me dripping like some kind of leaky tap - it's quite disgusting, but i'll get used to it - or that's what everyone reckons. the last two days have been in the 30s temp wise and the 80-90% humidity. it dops a bit when the sun goes down, so with the fan on it's not too bad for sleeping, but when that sun gets up, it's hot and sticky and a bit gross!! - but giggle worthy according to ben.

Got a ride into town in the morning with Adrienne, the woman who runs Tiare Village where we're staying, and she showed us the highlights, gave us some inside local information to help us on our way. We cruised through the cultural markets for breakfast - they have all kinds of local produce and generally only run on a Saturday morning and are closed by noon. Ben got his drivers license and we rented a moped (mode of transport for everyone on the island, just about) and we cruised around the island all day. We found some nice possies for happy snaps, had coffee/food at different little cafes around the island, and then went for a swim in a place called Black Rock in the southeast corner of the island. It's apparently a great snorkeling spot, but must have been in the wrong spot cause all we saw was corally bits and tons of sea cucumbers!! Don't worry, Ben didn't play Jackass (for those of you who've seen it)

I got sunburnt (Ooops), put sunscreen on everywhere except my chest and the tops of my legs, so now i have a very amusing tan - but everyone else on the island, including the Brits are all golden, so i'm sure that the tan will even out soon. The sunburn meant that we didn't do much today, just hung out in the house (we're staying in a chalet - they're different for sleeping, but the house is better for socialising), having chats and meeting people who have been here a while - trying to keep out of the sun. In the afternoon when we were sick of the heat, we jumped on the moped and went and found a wicked little cafe that does the best smoothies mmmmm and just sat around enjoying the breeze.

I've done alot of crapping on about nothing so far, but that's cause that's about what we've been doing, a whole lot of relaxing and bumming around, which has been good. We're going on a cruise on tuesday to Muri Beach, which is on the south west coast of the island and apparently it has some of the best snorkeling every there. we're also heading to Aitutaki on Thusday until monday and apparently that's the best one of all the cook islands. Can't wait!

Anyway, no point in crapping on if there's nothing else to say, but so far we're having a great time. keep me posted on how things are at home, miss everyone already.

Love always
Therese
OXOXOXOXOX

Advertisement



13th December 2006

Hello you!
Therese it sounds like you are having the best time! Its Anna from the Braidwood Medical Centre, the one that you slummed with! Lol drop me an email at anna.west.worth@hotmail.com
15th December 2006

Catch up!
It was so lovely to catch up with you and your family before you jet setted off to paradise. I was amazed at how much Damien had grown up (so cliched, i know!) but you should be very proud of him. Your mum is just so beautiful and your nanna... she was still up partying at 11pm!!!! It sounds as though you and Ben are definently in paradise! All I can say is , enjoy yourselves!!! You guys deserve it! All is well in the gong. Still trying to get organised for Chrissy but it is all slowly coming together. Work is still pretty hectic, so I am looking forward to the Christmas break. You take care of yourself and say hi to Ben for me. Lots of Love, Steph xxxxox

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb