Lets go rock surfin!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Wave Rock
December 10th 2005
Published: December 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

The drive back to Perth from Kal was going to be long enough, but just to spice things up a bit we did a big fat detour (we’re talking about 400kms here) to visit a real unusual rock formation called Wave Rock. Its situated near to a place called Hyden in a mega rural area of Western Australia referred to as the ‘Wheat Belt’. You guessed it, they grown wheat. But enough about the wheat belt - I want to tell you about Wave Rock.

It’s so called because its shaped like the crest of a wave just before it breaks. We’d seen some photos of it on the internet and in books and it looked pretty cool, so we decided it would be a worthwhile trip. We got there about 2pm and it was, funnily enough, roasting. We’d not had as many flies to deal with while we were in Kal, so we’d totally forgot what an enormous pain in the arse they are when they are out in force. We were out the car three seconds and already we’d formed our own personal entourage again. I know I keep going on about them but Jeeso, they are SO ANNOYING. (Readers voice: OK, Shaz, get over the flies already - you’re here for another few months mate!) Sorry!

Now, Wave Rock was pretty cool and all that, but I daresay that we were hoping for something just a little bit more enormous. Maybe on the scale of Uluru. We realized once we got there, that the pics we’d seen to date, didn’t have any peeps in them for size guage purposes so we had assumed that it was Masseeeeeeev. We were a little disappointed thus, to find that it was only ‘really quite big’. I’m about to cheat on the blog incidentally, and use words to describe the formation from a flyer we got from the Visitor Centre. This is because I’m technically inept when it comes to geological vocabulary, so I reckon that’s fair enough, don’t you?? Yes, I thought you’d agree.

Oay dokay, here we go………. Wave Rock, a granite cliff, is 15 metres high and 110 metres long. Its rounded shape has been caused by weathering and water erosion which has undercut the base, and left a rounded overhang. Water from the springs running down the rock during wetter months dissolve minerals adding to the colouring of the wave. In 1960, crystals from Wave Rock were dated as being 2700 million years old, among the oldest in Australia. Cool eh? The 'cool eh' bit wa me not the flyer, just incase you were wondering!

We spent only about 20 mins here and then jumped back in the car and sped off into the desert (wheat fields) in a Jimmy Bond stylee. Tony Toyota has been doing us proud. We’re getting an ejecter seat fitted for him in Perth and some lasers and rocket launchers, plus a minibar and a DVD player with real holographic capabilities. That last bit is just nonsense isn’t it? We'renot really doing any of that stuff. I’d better go…

Shaz & Alan . xxxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Sore heed.Sore heed.
Sore heed.

The family walking toward the camera are a Japanese bunch. The guy under the brolly fell at the rock - he was trying to stand as far up the wave as he could, then he went Sam the Cowper. He burst his head and it was bleeding. Shame, but that'll learn him to show off in front of his girlfriend.
Watch out Shazza or you'll get soaked!!!Watch out Shazza or you'll get soaked!!!
Watch out Shazza or you'll get soaked!!!

Except not really coz its a rock! Har har har har har! ....those of you who know me know that I'm not really that nerdy to think that was funny. Obviously I'nm being tongue in cheek. Or maybe I am that nerdy as I've just had to explain myself. Ah, who cares! I'm on me holidays for a year!!!! Now, thats funny.


Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 28; qc: 111; dbt: 0.132s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb