The Kimberleys - Part Two


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » The Kimberleys
January 25th 2010
Published: January 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I think I am slowly coming to an end of writting the blog on the rest of our Oz trip which is good. Ian was the one who told me to write this all up and he hasn't even bothered to read them. I'm thinking about adding a few nasty comments about him in the blog to see if he does ever read it!!

After Mitchell Falls we made our way to Ellenbrae Station where we had some lovely tea and scones! Not what you expect in the middle of the desert. It was such a lovely place. They must spend ages on the gardens as they were beautifal and really lush. The gardens must be watered constatly in the dry season for them to survive. It is so strange to see them waste water like that here when in other places in Oz they have such strong water restrictions.

I think between Mitchell Falls and Ellenbrai we stopped off to find some more Aboriginal Art. We stopped at a place that our tour guides had never been to before but had been given some really rough directions to which consisted of 'when you see the big pile of rocks turn left'. The first place we stopped we walked for ages and didn't find the art. It was so stupid as everyone split up and we were lucky that no-one got lost. The second place we stopped at we found the art and it was ok, but again I'm over Aboriginal Art now!

The next stop was El Questro, which is a wilderness park. It is amazing, especially after being in The Kimberleys for nearly a week! They have a bar, a restaurant and loads of activities to do if you have loads of money! We just went for a bit of a swim in the lake and then to the bar and shop. It was a really nice and relaxing place.

After El Questro we went to our final stop which was Kununurra. Oh Kununurra - what a place! For some reason we had about 3 hours of 'free time' in this hole! I think we just wondered around and did not a lot. Kununurra is funny as it is just a small town with nothing going for it apart from the fact that Australia the movie was filmed here. So everywhere you turn you see references to the film, I think I ate a Nicole Kidman cheesburger that night! The other funny thing is that they had this tourist book where every page has a photo of Huge Jackman with a local, but there are none of good old Nicole. There were even a couple of her hubbo Keith Urban but she was nowhere in sight. I think it was cause the sun would be too strong for her delicate skin!

The next day we got a plane back to Darwin where we stayed the night and then left the next day to go back to Sydney. As we had already been to Darwin I don't think we did a lot with our day there as we had pretty much seen everything.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb