19 Barn Hill - R & R 3 Sept


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Port Hedland
September 3rd 2011
Published: September 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

BarnHill campsiteBarnHill campsiteBarnHill campsite

120km south of Broome
19 Barn Hill R & R

We’ve only moved about 120km this week as we’ve been seducted by the warm water, the long sandy beaches, the warm breezes, quaint open showers and toilets and dappled shade.

Barn Hill Station is a low key camping ground at the edge of a magnificent sandy beach about 120km by road south of Broome. Its owned and run by the local run holders who farm 320,000 acres but only run 8,000 head of cattle. We had our first recommendation to come here in our 4th ever campground in Queensland. Apart from Chris and Lynne’s strong exhortation to visit, of course. As we slowly progressed across northern Australia, the name kept coming up again and again. They were right – it’s fabulous.

The car hasn’t moved since we got here five days ago. We’ve walked the beach from end to end, probably about 5km to the north and 1 – 2 to the south, climbed Barn Hill, had countless swims and that’s about it.

We’re off om Monday to progress slowly down this fabulous coast.


Scroll down past the ads, etc for lots more photos.

PandD
3 September 2011
SunsetSunsetSunset

This is the west coast, after all !!




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Beach shotBeach shot
Beach shot

Photographer's paradise
Beach shot 2Beach shot 2
Beach shot 2

Sea shore caves
Beach shot 3Beach shot 3
Beach shot 3

The view towards the campground
CliffsCliffs
Cliffs

Amazing sedimentary layers and erosion
Barn HillBarn Hill
Barn Hill

The only hill - note the contours around this hill.
Beach viewBeach view
Beach view

North from the campground


13th September 2011

Still jealous
Glad you are both well, its certainly a beautiful coastline. We have been to Broome but not ventured south like you have. Well not much to tell from this end, unfortunately DJ hasn't got a job yet, and been runner up on three occasions, so pretty frustrating for him. Will keep in touch. lots of love
16th September 2011

Good reading and good times it seems from the blogs we have read since we arrived home
Well you are lucky to be in such warm conditions because here it is very windy, showery and cold with a few sunny periods. What's new for NZ in September. Rugby fever is on in a big way with everyone it seems interested. We have been watching and tonight NZ plays Japan. Mils Muliena, Richie McCaw and Dan Carter are out with slight injuries but I think there are enough goodies left to play well. Up until a couple of days ago Dawson had not got a job and from what we read in the papers whilst there the Queensland job market in his field is not good. Michael finishes his big job soon and the company he is with has no more jobs on its books at the moment. Richard thinks the market (building) is looking up here slightly but is still fairly slow. He managed to get a new smart Hotel which is going to be built where the Team NZ shed is at the Viaduct and another smaller one (2 star - backpackers) in Queenstown but neither of them have started yet. We are wanting to have a drinkies party some time soon and wondered what date you are coming back. I think Dianne knew the date but I haven't found it on the blogs. Can you let us know? Matt and Paula settled their bach purchase the day of the hurricane but the house stood up to it well although the land around and under the house flooded. Matt said he was sitting on the terrace later that week and the water was all around but that the sunset was beautiful with the reflection right up to the house and there was someone water skiing off the end of the garden in the sea (like Orakei basin)!! Apparently it floods a bit but Paula said the other day that she was "sure the stars were aligned because they were meant to have it and it was beautiful" Not like her to be so ecstatic about things that are beautiful. Matt hired a truck to take stuff up to the bach and Simon Fenwick helped. They were stopped by police going out of NY on the 9/11 weekend and searched for bombs. I guess with their funny wiskers and probably old clothes they could have looked like terrorists but a less likely pair it would be hard to find (actually the police probably thought they were a gay couple)!! They struggled to get Simon's couch down from his apartment. They were working on the premise that it went up to the apt. therefore it should come down. Having taken the legs off because they couldn't get it in the doorman told them when they got down that the other lift in the building was bigger and it would have fitted in quite easily. No more news. Will talk soon. Love us.

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb