Day 14 - We tour Perth and Freemantle


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
May 6th 2012
Published: June 8th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -31.9554, 115.859

Todays Challenge - Carried over from day 13 - To spot the elusive Black Swan.

As we rise we have a beautiful view over the city from our room and it has started to rain. It's now half way through our trip and we head downstairs and have breakfast on Hay St before walking down to the Barrack St Jetty and board our double decker buss for a tour of the city.

The rain has stopped and the sun is peeking through the clouds as we head toward Burswood Casino then back past the WACA and the Perth Mint. The bus then takes us up to Kings Park which is very impressive and from here we have commanding views of the city. We return to jetty where we board part two of our tour which will take us to Freemantle. The trip is very relaxing and Deb buys two beers as the sun is now over the yard arm. We pass millionaires row and spot James Packers big cruiser mored in Mosman Bay.

It's not long before we hit 'Freo' as it is locally referred to and board a trolly car that will take us around to all the tourist destinations. Today of all days there is a May Day parade marching through the main street and the place is packed. We wonder if we will be able to get a seat for lunch. The tour takes us past 'Cappuccino St' and there are people hanging from the rafters. We decide not to lunch here. We then head to the old Freemantle Jail, the lookout and down to Fisherman's Wharf where we disembark and look for a seafood lunch. The restaurants are packed so we order some fish and chips at a seafood cafe called Sweetlips and they are fantastic.

We head back to the Wharf and sit in the sun drinking wine until our boat arrives for the return voyage. It's been a good day in 'Freo'.

Tonight, Deb decides she wants Western Australian Crayfish so we find a classy seafood restaurant in the Hyatt Centre and both order Lobster Thermidor. The crays were fresh out of their tank and were scrumptious.

We return to our room for an early night as we are heading to Kalgoorlie tomorrow.

We have not spotted the elusive black swan apart from a bronze statue at Barrack Point. This doesn't count as it is not black........challenge failed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb