My best friends wedding


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
May 6th 2011
Published: May 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Perth  Perth  Perth

Picnic in King's Park on my birthday
Yep, I know a corny title, just like that film, but it is as it is. My reason for coming to Perth, Australia was to attend my best friends wedding. And he honoured me by making me his best man. Of course with a wedding comes a bachelor party, or a stag party, or buck's night as they seem to call it here. I was lucky enough not to have to organize it since I was travelling around, but still had the pleasure of enjoying it, having arrived two days shy of it. And to top it all of, my birthday was the day before this night!

So the schedule was something like this: arrival in Perth early in the morning after a grueling 24 hour flight from Guangzhou, which included a 17 hour lay-over in Kuala Lumpur. A few hours of sleep and then drinking for three days, to celebrate just seeing each other after almost two years, then my birthday and then the stag night.

With those events over and done with I had a few days of rest in which I met up with the rest of Eelko's family who were slowly trickling in. First his
Perth  Perth  Perth

Skyline
parents, Wilma and Arie, who had arrived a week earlier but had made a little trip through Western Australia since then and came back the day after the buck's night. Then his youngest brother, Ivo with his girlfriend Marloes and finally Sander the middle brother and his girlfriend Corinne. All of this of course involved more drinking. To get a little out of Eelko and Kathy's way we organized day trips to various destinations around Perth until the big day arrived.

That day was the 29th of April, and I have heard that there was another wedding going on somewhere in England that same day, but I can tell you ours was better! Those copy-cats in England might have gotten a 2 billion audience but who needs that? We had the picture perfect bride, the handsome groom and of course the coolest best man ever (praise be to me)! Best of all, it all went off without any hiccups, no nerves and the bride and groom actually enjoyed it and were pretty relaxed about it all. Kathy said she almost felt guilty about enjoying it so much.

With that little event over, it was time to go for
LancelinLancelinLancelin

Beach outside Lancelin
a short trip down to Dunsborough and environs courtesy of Eelko and Kathy. They had rented a nice cottage for her family and Eelko's and for me of course. A lovely place it was, with a great bridal suite which we were all very jealous of, but they deserved it. And what do you do around Dunsborough? Well sample fee wines at the many vineyards, sample free chocolate at the chocolate factory, sample free cheese at the cheese factory, sample some more free wines, sample some beers at the micro-brewery and if you have time you can go to the beach for some swimming or surfing or just to enjoy an amazing sunset. Sounds tiring doesn't it?

The time however has come for me to continue on my trip and say goodbye to the married couple. I return to China and they return to normal life. It was nice and it is a memory I shall always savour, as they say.

Finally last but not least, all the photo's taken at the wedding and published on this blog were taken by either Sander van der Vaart or Ivo van der Vaart, Eelko's brothers. So full credit to them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

LancelinLancelin
Lancelin

Eelko catching a wave
Perth  Perth
Perth

Night of the Bachelor Party
Perth  Perth
Perth

Scarborough beach
Perth  Perth
Perth

Eelko and his family on the beach
Perth  Perth
Perth

Going on a day trip to The Pinnacles
Lancelin to Cervantes  Lancelin to Cervantes
Lancelin to Cervantes

Kangeroo in the bush outside Lancelin
Lancelin to Cervantes  Lancelin to Cervantes
Lancelin to Cervantes

View along the way
The Pinnacles  The Pinnacles
The Pinnacles

Another Kangeroo
The Pinnacles  The Pinnacles
The Pinnacles

Strange rock formations
The Pinnacles  The Pinnacles
The Pinnacles

View of the Pinnacles, sand dunes and the ocean
Perth  Perth
Perth

Eelko and Kathy's house
Perth  Perth
Perth

Bond... James Bond
Perth  Perth
Perth

Being brought to the wedding with his bodyguard
Perth  Perth
Perth

Waiting for the bride
Perth  Perth
Perth

And there she comes, with her father and mother
Perth  Perth
Perth

Eelko reading his vows
PerthPerth
Perth

Kathy putting the wedding ring on Eelko's finger
Perth  Perth
Perth

The kiss!!


5th May 2011

WOW
congrats to eelko if you see him! god, it's been forever! Miss both of you x
10th May 2011

Wow!
What a beautiful couple, beautiful dress! And you look fabulous in a penguin suit, you should wear it more often!! Did anyone record your speech? Would love to hear it!!!

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb