Australia Day, Perth


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
January 26th 2006
Published: February 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Useful tip: if arriving in major Australian city on Australia Day, do phone ahead for accommodation unless you enjoy playing out the "no room at the inn" nativity scene of course.
We arrived at Perth airport at 5:40am on Australia Day, a national holiday where 400,000 people would be congregating in the evening for a fireworks display & we hadn't prebooked any accomadation.
Actually, we found room at inn four, after deciding inn three was actually in the midst of a building site and, therefore, inaccessible and potentially noisy.
Perth and surrounds were fantastic. The riverfront was buzzing the day we arrived-with stunt bikes jumping off ramps, aerobatic flybys, beach volleyball, and a stage with excellent Aussie bands- namely "The Avenues" and "The Panics". As darkness fell, there was an awesome fireworks display (with exceptional scenes cheered with cries of "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi" no less). Particularly dazzling were the huge dandelion type explosion with different coloured centres and huge white ones that appeared like, big, moving spiders...yes, you did have to be there!

Drink of the Day: Coca-Cola Zero (Coke's version of Pepsi Max)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0745s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb