Perth part 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
January 23rd 2019
Published: January 28th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Back to Perth to meet up with Steph and Martin but first a pic of us with Rob and Jacquie which I should have posted last time.

Driving up from Margaret River we managed to find time to drop into another art gallery (funny that) and a winery (firetail) where we bought a bottle of their medal winning Cabernet - very nice it was too. Then we stopped at Busselton with it’s 1.3km long pier. And that’s where I had a new experience. On the way out of the town I was pulled over along with a line of cars and was breathalysed - needless to say I passed.

Next stop Hilary’s where we were to meet Steph. Strangely enough it was where we walked with Rob and Jacquie when we first got to Perth.

Wandering around we came across a bar with a Ukelele band and as we walked passed it seemed that almost every customer had a Ukelele and all were older than me! We didn’t go in!

We then caught up with Steph and Martin plus the kids Natalie, Danielle, Dominic plus Harry. Dominic had worked at a Grill’d restaurant when in Melbourne and for his last meal before he and Danielle set off home he wanted to go there. Not bad for a burger place.

We didn’t envy them their journey back though as they had 2 stopovers and a 42 hour trip ahead of them - ouch.

Once back at the house a quick shower and they were off to the airport. While they were gone I emptied the car of the camping equipment and apologised to Martin later for not being able to pack the tent properly.

For some reason the next morning Steph and I got up and ran a local Park Run in the heat. My first run since we left and I knew about it - but pleased we managed to get out.

Once we got back Steph went off to Rottnest with Natalie and Harry for their last day and after spending the morning doing nothing Sue and I headed into Fremantle one of the older towns in Australia.

Fremantle is a picturesque town with a huge and interesting market which we wandered through but more importantly one of the bigger craft ale brewers on the west coast - Little Creatures brewing, highly recommended to us by Jan & John Eastaff. It would have been rude not to try their beers so 11 tastings later we meandered into town.

A little later we met up with Steph, Martin, Natalie & Harry again in Leederville, Perth at the garden pub then a Malaysian curry.

With Martin and Staph back at work on the Monday we caught the ferry from Hilary harbour to Rottnest Island where Sue hired an electric bike while I used Steph’s normal bike. Cycling round the island was fun if occasionally tiring ( well for me at least) and we spent most of the day there stopping at various beaches and viewpoints as well as taking the obligatory selfie with the Quokas.

A good day.

On our last day in Perth we drove north for a couple of hours to the Pinnacles. A place that had thousands of 1-4 metre high limestone rocks scattered all across the landscape looking like something you might see on an inhospitable Star Trek planet.

Apparently aboriginal legend has it that in times gone by the young were warned not to go into the area because of sinking sand but of course many ignored the warnings. As a result the numerous rocks are the young males fingers reaching up from beneath the sand clawing the air. An impressive place.

Steph had recommended The Endeavour Pub, with best pub garden in Australia. The pub has a TAB which is a betting office kiosk!

On the way back we stopped at Guilderton where the Moore river almost flows into the sea but a sandbar holds the water back most of the time creating 2 beaches either side.

Then back to Perth for one final meal out with Steph and Martin and off to the airport for our next destination- Sydney!



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb