Perth


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Joondalup
December 4th 2009
Published: December 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Week one of sunny Australia complete! I have had an awesome time in Perth and the weather has been perfect. We have been staying with my God mother and her family in Mullaloo and they have looked after us so well! We arrived in the early hours of last Thursday morning so after a big lie in we headed down the coast road to see the beaches and the town. We stocked up on some food and then went to the local for a sundown (a beer as the sun goes down - incredibly logical and incredibly good). Day 2 was all about the party and we were taken for a night out in Perth and despite being a little on the expensive side (compared to what we have been used to) it was great fun. It was the first time I had worn smart shoes and trousers on a night out in ages! As we rolled into the weekend we checked out the beaches and of course, I got wonderfully sunburnt (and that was with heaps on suncream on as well!) We were also gifted tickets to the Stereosonics festival in Perth on the Sunday so after a massive bbq in the afternoon we got the train down to the festival site. It was mainly djs and dance music so new for me but it there were some really cool acts and the whole event had an awesome atmosphere. The Bloody Beetroots were my favourite! It was so good seeing live music again...it has been far too long! Monday and Tuesday were spent on Scarborough beach attempting to body board the crazily windblown waves. The waves got pretty big and because they were all breaking into each other due to the wind and rip current I eventually abandoned the board and and just jumped around and swam about instead! Great fun. We also went to see the new Twilight film (New Moon) on Tuesday night at a drive-in cinema. We padded out the back of John's truck with pillows and sleeping bags and parked up in front of the big screen. Best cinema experience so far! On Wednesday we went for a bit of a road trip up north to go dune riding! We went on the Desert Storm 4x4 bus and it drove up and down the massive sand dunes. At first it all seemed fairly calm but all of a sudden the driver just drove up to the edge of a huge ridge of sand that had a 20ft drop the other side....and he drove straight of it! At one point the whole bus was almost vertical. We also had a go at sand boarding...something i have always wanted to try. Without straps though a straight line was the only option and Dan and I just about managed to get to the bottom of the dune still standing. On Thursday we hit Cottesloe beach, very trendy and you would probably look pretty of place without swimwear of surf gear. Cool beach and clear warm sea! So now it is Friday and I have just finished packing my bag for our flight tonight that will take us up to the East Coast of Australia to Cairns. We are travelling down the East Coast and will get to Sydney just in time for New Years Eve. I have also tried kangaroo meat and Vegemite so i'm feeling pretty Australian right now....and i have seen the season finale of neighbours and it is pretty intense. I was not ready for such an emotional episode! Thats all from Perth! p.s a MASSIVE thank you must go out to the Mackle family for being such great hosts this week and for looking after and feeding us so so well! Thank you John, Sheren, Erin, Chris and Nick.

Advertisement



6th December 2009

awesome!
What do you know -- I've lived in Perth for a full year and you've experienced more of Perth's best than me! :) That was a pretty good itinerary, seriously. Am just curious which drive-in cinema you went to? And the Desert Storm bus is a good idea! I didn't even know we had it here. Gotta try it some time. Had fun reading your blog, keep on traveling!

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb