Dolphins and dune parties


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Monkey Mia
November 11th 2011
Published: November 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Up and about early to see the dolphins come in to feed. I headed down to the beach at 7.30am and already a handful of dolphins had come in to receive the first of their three-times daily fish installments. One - Piccolo - has a 2 week old baby calf called Piper and the two are playing and diving in and out of the water for the crowds gathering behind.

We were called down from the boardwalk to the beach, just as far as the water's edge. The dolphins lined up patiently for their food - Nicky, making puffing noises as she's the impatient one, Puck holding her head unnaturally out of the water because she realised people made 'aahhh' noises when she started doing it years ago and she hasn't stopped since. No one is allowed in the water because of the calf - only last week she beached because she was spooked by the crowds. She needs to be fed by her mother every 10 minutes so one spooking incident could be fatal for her.

I didn't get called to feed a dolphin - members of the public are chosen at random - but tomorrow's another day. Instead, Emma, Paulina and I headed to Denham, the nearest town, to stock up on provisions at a proper supermarket (rather than the overpriced camp shop on site). We stopped for photo opportunities and went for a wade into the lagoon that the girls hadn't seen before as they came in on the bus (this is why cars are essential here - you miss out on some of the real hidden gems otherwise).

Back at the ranch and there's a little time for sunbathing on the beach before Emma needs to catch the bus to the Overlander roadhouse to continue her trip. The beach here is beautiful and the dolphins swim around you. You're meant to get out of the water but many don't and snorkel alongside the dolphins, making the most of the opportunity they have. The shells on the beach are like none I've ever seen before too - there's a starfish too, sadly beached and unable to be saved, but beautiful to look at.

Having said a quick farewell to Emma, who I'll be meeting again in Cairns in 2 weeks, Paulina and I managed a spot of washing (who knew Garnier Fructis would be equally as effective as Bold 2 in 1?) and a beer before being asked if I wanted to head to a dune party for the full moon. I said yes out loud, whilst inside saying no no no no no no. Far too old for such shenanigans, the likes of which I've not been invited to since the age of 18. However am loving this new found bit of attention. Maybe the traveller losing-weight-because-I-can't-afford-to-eat diet is a good thing after all....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.093s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb