Monkey Mia and the Wild Dolphins!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Monkey Mia
November 30th 2007
Published: December 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Another early start - we are getting good at these!! Due to the hour time change the dolphins generally come into Monkey Mia an hour earlier now - don't they have watches??!! They come into the shore and get a couple of fish each! the staff pick people randomly out of the crowd to give them a fish to eat but you are not allowed to touch them as there have been problems in the past with disease.

when they came in, it was amazing, there's a baby calf dolphin as well that's 2 weeks old that can't seem to swim properly yet, he kinda wiggles his bum at the wrong times!! it's funny but cute! the dolphins are wild dolphins but come to monkey Mia as they know they will get food. they just com right up abd are swimming in front of you about 1m away! it was fantastic to see, and considering how much I love dolphins too! It was just really nice to see them come and go of their own free will and not performing tricks! they play around in their own environment.

Lou got to feed one of the dolphins first time which was cool! we waited until the dolphins came back for some more food as they tend to have 3 feedings a morning and we went for a paddle in the sea after the first one and saw a turtle swimming about! It didn;t come too close to us as they think we are sharks but you couls see it's little head getting air above the water!

The pelicans are also at monkey mia on the beach but when the dolphin feeding is going on they have to feed the pelicans as well otherwise they spots the fish your giving to the dolphins and fly and knock you over!! he he! naughty! i didn;t get picked the second time to feed the Dolphins which I was a bit disappointed with at first but being that close to them in their own environment made up for that really! I got over it!

We then headed to Eagles Bluff, it is called this as the eye sight of an eagle as the water is so clear and it didn't let us down! we could see Tiger Sharks and Singrays from the view point above - really good! Excellent views again - this country is just full of them, you don't know which way to turn!

We then made a stop off at Ocean Park which holds turtles, sharls, fish until they are well enough to go back in the wild if they are ill. We saw turtles, stroked a deadly seas snakes (they tend not to attack people though!) saw a stone fish which are also dealy and look like stones so if you trod on one in the ocean you would be a little buggered! keeping my eye out for those ones now! We went to see the sharks and the guy was holding fish up to try and get them out the water a bit and one of them jumped and stole it from him when he was chatting! Apparently the tiger shark in there also ate one of the smaller sharks the other week!

had a picnic lunch and then headed up to Coral bay - nice 5 hour drive but doesn't seem too bad!! The minibus isn;t full so we can stretch our legs out a bit which is nice!! we got to Coral bay, dumped our stuff then headed to see the Sunset...unfortunately we were just too late, we were walking as fast as we could but we missed it!! he he! But.....I did get to see a boinging kangeroo though - excellent! Skippyyyy!

On the way we went through the Tropic of capricorn - how cool is that! Now we know where those dotted lines are from on that globe!!

Arrived after a not so bad drive at all, Coral bay Hostel was nice - pool again - quite impressed with the standard of accom we are getting on this trip! Another BBQ for dinner! my fave! I am in my element with these BBQ's!!! In a 10 bed dorm tonight! madness!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Coral bay SunsetCoral bay Sunset
Coral bay Sunset

Group Photo in front of the Sunset we just missed!!


Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb