On the road to Karijini


Advertisement
Published: February 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We set of at breakfast time, "On the road again" was our catch phrase and we had a good 600k's to go to reach Karijini. By now the earth was really red this could be one of the reasons we had still not seen a wild Kangaroo, but we had seen wild emus, ostriches, dolphins hopefully we will spot some in the national park. We did see some really massive Termite minds the one we stopped at must have been hundreds of years old as they carry the dirt when it has rained and build up the minds then the sun bakes it hard onto the termite mind this allows them to build a massive coleney, trust me this was huge must be so old.

We stopped in at Tom Price which is the last stop before Karijnini National Park, it is a well known mining town and boy did that show in the price of food as we stocked up for a few days with nothing but bushland and wildlife.

We entered the park around 2pm and it was breathtaking, nothing but trees and hills that went on for miles and miles, some of the plants on the hills looked like little cactus everywhere but as you got up close they where little bushes with white on the ends so weird. We hit the dirt road with 87k's to go until we hit camp, Jay put his foot down as we drove like a "Bat at of hell" which was Jays saying for the time we spent in the park. Again this was all part of the fun the faster the less bumpy it was although at one point we took off as we went over a hill so funny.

We finally arrived at Dales camp ground and got a camp site for only $6.50 a night each Bungarra Loop was the name of our camp, we choose to stay on an echo camp which means no showers and only a hole in the ground for the toilet, this was my idea of camping nothing but wilderness around us. Up went the tent as quick as co by this time it was hot and we needed a swim.

We went to check out Circle pool but it was a 45min walk and we were running out of day light so headed back to Fern Pool which was just over from our camp site. It was about a 20min walk down to the natural water fall and worth every step, the water was fresh but we were very grateful as we were a little hot from being in the car for so long, we chilled here for about half and hour then headed back to camp where I cook a fat feed and we had a game of cards.

As the weather was nice and warm now we did not put the cover on the tent, so great when you lay down all you can see is millions of stars and the milky way feels so close almost close enough to touch. We both slept like babies and was up at first light ready for a big day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb