Karijini to Exmouth


Advertisement
Published: April 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A beautiful sleep only to be woken agian by howling dingo's. But we are in one of the most sensational places in West Australia, so nobody ever complains. Breakfast only consisted of cereal today as we have to pack up and do the long haul to Exmouth (suddenly being reminded of yesterdays vote, also to do Fern Pool) Once all packed we headed back to Dales Gorge and back down the big climb to Fortescue Falls and 300 metres or so to Fern Pool. The track is quite easy, ducking under branches and climbing over fallen tree limbs and wondering "Is this the right way, we can hear water, but where is it?" you walk thru a cove that you can only image fairy folk habitating and onto decking and down some steps and opening into a complete oasis of serenity. Fern Pool is all that people tell you and more! There are two natural waterfalls and a cave under them to sit on. A ladder has even been built to help you get in the water. It was a bit early in the morning and you had to share the water with some sort of fresh water fish which took great delight in nibbling on your toes. So as you can guess I opted for the chief photographer job. Troy and the kids had an amazing swim, I got to talk to a little boy named Kippy and his parents who are on their way to Darwin. There weren't many people at Fern Pool, whether it was so early in the morning or that people just don't realise it's there. Troy and the kids loved Fern pool, the water temperature is very pleasant and your surroundings is straight out of the travellers guide books. To be given the opportunity to visit a place like this is not to be taken for granted. To experience the changing colours of the rock as the sun rises higher into the sky, is truly awesome. Listening to the fall of the water as it plummets into the pool is serene and peaceful. To have a tourist do a bombie in front of you and scream WAHOO!!! certainly brings you back from that happy place you were creating in your head.
As it was getting later on in the morning and still having the drive to Exmouth to look forward to, we bade farewell to Dales Gorge and made a promise that "We'll be back".
We didn't leave Karijini until about pm as we discovered you can have a shower at the visitor centre. So after not having had a shower since leaving Kalgoorlie on Saturday I jumped at the chance when it was offered by my darling husband.
Once all clean, we were ready to go.
Travelling in a F250 that has had some major grunt added to it, you have to plan your trip around raodhouses. We headed to Tom Price to find a fuel station about 10 k's out from it. Then headed off to Paraburdoo. There's not much to really write about the scenery from Paraburdoo to Exmouth only that there isn't much change to the scenery of nothingness. And maybe the cows that frequent the side of the road (that you have to slow down for in case they decide to cross the road!!) or the 3 bridges that you cross that are only one lane. Other then that, it's pretty much the same long straight road!!! Very long and straight road............driving into the sunset slows you right down as you proceed with caution on the long straight road.........
We arrived in Exmouth last night at 6.30pm, found our caravan park and the map to our tent site. Once agian putting up a tent pretty much in complete darkness is a whole lotta fun (NOT!) except for our lovely neighbour James, who bought over his camp light so that we could see. Ours were still packed under the tent, the kitchen room, bedding, pretty much all the essentials that you need to get off first. Only to discover that the ground is as hard as cement and the tents pegs just aren't tough enough. But being from the loins of miners, we got thru it.
Tonight is our first night in Exmouth and all I can say is that the cool breeze on my face as I lay here half comatose is sensational!!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb