Fremantle


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Fremantle
January 24th 2009
Published: February 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

drove along the coast to fremantle, its realy nice there - older, the oldest western settlement in WA, the houses look like the wild west - thats called colonial apparently.
we went to the round house first, where the first convicts from england were held. at 1pm they fire a cannon and drop a time-ball - it used to be done to tell the whole town what the time was - thats were the phrase "on the ball" comes from. Fremantle is a bit bigger than maidstone but with a harbour - lots of massive cargo ships waiting to dock. we walked through the town, theres a few nice furnature and clothes shops we walked along a street they call acppucino street - for obvious reasons, and into the market - a bit like covent garden market - theres loads of permanent stalls - jewelery, gifts, aborigional arts and crafts food etc. theres lots of asian stalls, arts and crafts, gifts and food. we got some turkish wraps from a stall - cant remember what theyre called - were nice though. then we walked to the maritime museum - the new one, theres metal walls outside it with names of people who registered after emmigrating here, we looked for mum but then realised there were loads more walls so we went in and asked the man on reception for a book of the names - mum wasnt in it, i guess grandpa didnt register. anyway it was good in the museum, there were lots of boats - obviously nad there was Australia II - the boat that aus won the America's Cup in in 1983.
then we walked back to the car and drove home - stopped at hilaries on th eway and got a cold rock - the best icecream ever (almost)
you pick your flavour, and your size, then you pick your smashings - sweets/fruit that they mash into your icecream, then they put it into a tub its sooo good - i had cheesecake icream with raspberries, marshmallows, and caramello koalas (theyre like freddos but with caramel inside - did we used to have caramel freddos?) Aunty M had honeycomb with Koalas.
we walked round the harbour/pier, i bought some postcards, then we left. we got home, i wrote my postscards and watched tv, Lew went out with friends. we had thai take away - i had massaman curry - was realy nice like a coconut beef stew. then we watched will smith - enemy of the state - good film. i love will smith. bedtime


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

aunty m with a big boataunty m with a big boat
aunty m with a big boat

thats the angle that a wave made it go in a storm - one man (cant remember his name - jon something) sailed all round the world 3 times in it - solo


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb