Sun 8th April - The Margaret River wineries


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Dunsborough
April 8th 2007
Published: April 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

SimmoSimmoSimmo

Icecream shop
Our Map of Perth & the Margaret River


It’s Easter Sunday so hot cross buns are on the menu for breakfast. The guest has only 2 rooms and the other couple are leaving today which means we have it all to ourselves.

We are heading for Margaret River today at the heart of the wine area. After a brief wander around the local Market and a “Liquorice” ice cream from “Simmo’s” we hit the wine trail and visited Xanadu, Voyager, Cape Mentelle and Cape Grace. The most impressive winery was Voyager Estate a mock Cape Dutch Manor House perched within immaculately kept landscaped gardens.

The Margaret River wine area only produces 5%!o(MISSING)f the wine in Australia but this counts for 25%!o(MISSING)f the premium wines. So basically it is a low yield high quality wine area specialising in quality Cabernet Sauvignons.

We then drove along Caves Rocks road to a great surfing beach called “Smiths” Beach and sat watching the surfers catch their waves. Property seems really expensive in this area. We noticed some ocean view apartments for $4 million. It’s a nice area but not that nice to demand these prices.

We then stopped at a Venison farm and
Voyager EstateVoyager EstateVoyager Estate

Kirsten in front of Manor House
bought/tasted some Emu and Kangaroo biltong and Kangaroo and Venison Salami.

After a brief drive to Bunker Bay and Meelup beach on the north shore of Cape Naturalist (Meelup beach was lovely and had great BBQ facilities) we stopped at the exclusive Key West resort which provides luxury chalets for about 300 pounds per day!

The weather has changed today and it’s quite drizzly and overcast, so we decide to stay in again and pick up some great rotisserie chicken from Chicken Treat and chill for the evening.

Ta Ta for now K & M


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Smiths BeachSmiths Beach
Smiths Beach

Great surfing beach!


Tot: 0.285s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1915s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb