Day 74 - to Derby and the GRR finished


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Derby
June 9th 2015
Published: June 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Boab Prison TreeBoab Prison TreeBoab Prison Tree

Reputedly used to prison aboriginals enroute to Derby for sentencing in the late 1800's
Our time at Mornington now complete, we drove the 90 kilometres back to the GRR and sat and watched cars stream past.

Were we to turn right and more gorges and other spectacular sights (but invariably dust and smoke too) or left and back to Derby (and Broome and beaches and sand and surf).

In the end, it was an easy choice: we would come back to the Kimberley again when there was a bigger wet season and we would add some more sights from the GRR (and hopefully we would visit the Mitchell Plateau and Kalumburu).

So we turned left and mentally recalculated the fuel and distance involved. Enough to get to Derby without stopping at Mount Hart. So, direct to Derby was the decision.

We arrived in Derby for a late lunch and then visited the wharf to see the stunning tidal variation. Then it was time to visit some of the more well known features (like the Boab Prison Tree) and find somewhere to stay the night.

We stayed in central Derby and had dinner at the Spini (Spinifex Hotel) where we met a really interesting character who told us his life story; from homeless thug to millionaire miner. Ask Georgi about him if you have a spare half hour.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1014.2kb