Day 5 Adelaide to Perth - Cape Le Grande


Advertisement
Published: April 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Caiguna Blow HoleCaiguna Blow HoleCaiguna Blow Hole

spot the little brown snake
We all woke early this morning as we gained 2 and a half hours when we crossed the WA border, and do it was light by 5am. Jo woke up with a swollen eye after a mosquito bite swelled up over night and a couple of others woke up with spider and mosquito bites...a sign of a true night in the bush. On the drive down the dirt track back to the 90 mile straight we passed Caiguna blow hole which is a 32km cave system that sucks cold air in at night and blows warm air out during the day. It was only 6.30am when we passed by so it was still sucking air in at that time but during the day the air flow is enough to blow your t-shirt over your head. We also spotted another snake at the bottom of the blow hole, this time a baby copper head. He must have fallen in the hole and had no chance of getting out as the sides were too steep. Simo tried to help him out with a stick but had no luck so we had to leave him in there as we carried on our journey. It was another long day of driving today, we stopped at a couple of roadside stations for toilet breaks along the way as we headed into Esperance on the South coast. At Esperance we took a drive along the coast to gain views of the white sandy beaches and turquoise sea and stopped at a couple of look out points before heading into the town to pick up supplies from the bottle shop and supermarket. Then it was time to drive around the coast to our campsite at Lucky Bay on Cape Le Grande The campsite is located right behind the beach so we all headed straight down to check out the beach when we arrived. The sand is white and so soft that it squeaks when you walk across it and as we arrived on the beach we were greeted by a couple of kangaroos hopping across the sand. As we were all choosing a place to lay our swag for the night Jo asked Simo if we could sleep on the beach. It's a driving beach so we couldn't sleep on the main part of the beach but there was a clearing in the grass at the back of the beach where there was a space for 3 or 4 people to lay their swags. So we had to keep it quiet from the rest of the group or everyone would have wanted to do the same. We enjoyed a few drinks in the evening whilst Simon prepared dinner. And after dinner we saw a couple of kangaroos that came into the camp kitchen to lick up the remaining food from the BBQ! Simo also warned us to have our wits about us whilst in camp as the rangers have had a problem with a 2 metre dugite snake that seems to be calling the campsite his home!! After a few drinks we made our way down to the beach to set up our swags for the night and listen to the waves crashing on the beach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb