Beautiful Broome


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Broome
August 28th 2006
Published: August 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Camel rideCamel rideCamel ride

This is a typical Cable Beach sunset photo. I hope I have done it justice
Enjoyed our 5 days in Broome. A little like the Pt Douglas of the West - well from what we saw at the lovely Cable beach resort. More tropical than I thought - the resort is set on 26 acres with lovely lawns, manicured gardens, water features, several restaurants and a couple of large pools. We had a lovely first full day in Cable Beach - lapping up the luxury and the beautiful sunshine. We went for a long hour walk on the beach in the morning before breakfast and it was very busy with people and cars even at 7.30am! 4-wheel drives everywhere and of course camel rides! We had breakfast at our hotel and had to watch our food carefully as the seagulls are quite good at flying quickly by and stealing the bacon right off your plate! We then hired a couple of push bikes and rode the 6ks or so into town - flat path and concrete all the way - still very tiring for us oldies!

We found lots of the giant 'boab trees' and photographed a few but they would look a lot better without a building or car behind them! A job for photoshop obviously!

Chris and I enjoyed our 3 hour kayaking trek around the Cable Beach bay along with a group of 15 others. Lots of waves to start with which made rowing an interesting exercise - they have huge 10 metre tides so the sea is continually going in or out at a great rate. Chris and I had the dubious honour of being wet by the largest wave as we set off from shore! We managed to get some fleeting glimpses of sea turtles as they lifted their heads out of the water which was great. Apparently they see the occasional Dugong as well. We then had an opportunity to swim in some tidal 'spas' along the cliff face of the bay - the rocks are an amazing orange colour quite a contrast to the turquoise water. They provided us with lovely cold drinks and dips and biscuits on the rocks.
It's been 34 degrees today so we had to cover up so that we didn't fry any more than we already are!

Our last night in Broome before we headed home in the morning was spent watching the movie "Ten Canoes" at the historic Broome
SunsetSunsetSunset

The Cable Beach sunsets are amazing
outdoor picture theatre - lots of stars and deck chairs! Apparently it is the world's oldest garden picture theatre. Right on schedule we all had to duck for cover when the 7.30pm Virgin jet from Perth flew right over our heads into the airport only 2 miles away!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Foot prints from the pastFoot prints from the past
Foot prints from the past

A hovercraft tour took us to a remote beach to see Dinosaur footprints and hear the 120,000 million year old history behind them
The BikersThe Bikers
The Bikers

We hired these bikes and rode into town about 5 miles from our resort - lovely flat concrete paths - the heat being our only challenge


29th August 2006

Your first blog!
Hi Julie, Greetings from Kerala, India. These lines are just to let you know that I've gone through your blog and enjoyed it very very much. Your photographs are stupendous! Well done. Please let me know if you are coming to Kerala. I wish you well in your travels and look forward to reading more from you. Take care and God Bless! Cheers, Kris Kandath
2nd September 2006

Fantastic!
Mar and I loved your photos Julie - what a wonderful life you and Chris have. You should enter the photos in a competition! Much Love, Vicki
4th September 2006

A meesage from the UK
You shame me with your excellent photogenic and photographic skills! I must take care when you are in the UK to know which pictures you are taking now you are a blogger!!!!!!

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb